Davega problems or questions

Does anyone know what will happen to a davega if you give it 5v instead of 3.3

Pzzzzt dead

Janpom is developing a 5v only one too, which he’s given out prototypes for.

1 Like

Just give it 3.3? Uart has both (assuming you’re using stormies)

1 Like

I am using stormies, but all uarts taken, accept for the one on the side which only has a 5v

I wonder if I can make a Y splitter for the 3.3v on the port that is occupied by metr…will that effect metr at all? Or will it just not work :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if I can use the 3.3 on the 5pin connector on the other side :grinning:

Do you have space for one of those teeny tiny 1a buck converters?

You can buck 5 down to 3.3

1 Like

Hmmm, going to try the other 3.3, should work!

1 Like

The jst-ph5 ? That one has 3.3v on it
Screenshot_20210829-010341_Photos
The jst-ph4 doesn’t
Screenshot_20210829-010325_Photos

1 Like

Yeah il use all the pins from uart3 and the 3.3 from the 5pin jst

1 Like

Would clearly work. Just a matter of making that extra wire disappear into the background :wink:

If you’ve got a couple resistors laying around you can just make a simple voltage divider

Definitely not a voltage divider. You don’t know the resistance of the load. That wouldn’t work.

That sounds reasonable.

The next DAVEGA version will take 5V input, which should be a little more robust and leave less room for user error.

I already got the PCBs in but turned out I had a mistake in the USB-UART circuitry, so it will take at least one more iteration. I’m probably going to drop the USB completely since it shouldn’t be needed anymore for the end-user. I’m only going to leave headers for connecting an external USB-UART module, just in case. These will also be accessible without taking the DAVEGA out of the housing.

6 Likes

Oh I didn’t think about the load part my bad, been a while since I took circuits

1 Like

The davega displays a wrong voltage compared to actual measured with multimeter. Is there a calibration to do or is it a problee with the data sent by the VESC? The difference is pretty big isn’t it?

Vescs are notoriously bad at voltage readout, but this is a bit extreme. Check vesc tool to see if the vesc is just being an asshole

2 Likes

Damn, I was hoping not to have to open that thing so soon😅. I dont have blutooth.

1 Like

DAVEGA just reads the voltage from the VESC. It doesn’t do anything clever with it. It just displays it. I’m hundred percent sure the VESC Tool will show the same value.

BTW, it’s worth checking with another multimeter as well.

2 Likes

There goes my hope for an easy solution :sweat_smile:

I’ll try to find a voltmeter.

Yeah try a different multimeter, unless you payed over $500 for a good DMM you are going to have a 5-10% tollarence in the best of cases

2 Likes

Yeah, sometimes if it is near the end of the battery life it can read inaccurately too

1 Like