Daly BMS thread

Electrically the following is true but @JoeyZ5 brings up a great point in his post below!

Except for the first cell, all of the NEG terminals are also the POS terminals of the next cell down the series string of cells. There’s no reduction in the risk of short circuits by shifting the balancing connection between two already connected points.

There is still a 4.2V or higher voltage difference between every balancing lead (when the pack is charged).

3 Likes

So in short (:smirk:) there is no safety gained from wiring to the NEG terminals instead of positive bc they are connected via the series connection anyways.

This makes logical sense to me but is def different then what I gleaned from the batt builders thread. Thx @Battery_Mooch. As always, u are a great source of knowledge.

1 Like

If you are using tabs that fold over the side of the cell, putting it on the negative side will prevent shorts to the cell can on the side of the cell because it’s already connected to the can on the negative. Putting it on the positive is risky if you don’t have protection on the top, side, and the shoulder of the cell.

3 Likes

Thank you for that! Love gettin’ me some learnin’. :joy:

3 Likes

Occasionally…but this time I wasn’t correct. There are physical connection issues to consider. :blush:

2 Likes

Well, I’m using fish rings on the pos terminals of all cells as a standard practice and the tabs will be folded over abs cell holders so there’s not much worry of a short happening at the shoulder or on the can.

In any case, can I wire this Daly like the LLT as below (obv only the balance leads)? Would be good to know my options. I think it should be fine given the wiring diagrams for the 2 bms are the same for the balance leads.

Yeah, that diagram is perfect for the Daly too

2 Likes

:pray:

5char

2 Likes

Does a Daly BMS prevent charging if one of the groups is below 2.5V?

Pretty sure @Avi

@Battery_Mooch Do most BMSs prevent charging if one of the groups is below 2.5V?
I figure it’s more of a potential problem for us since we bypass discharge, so our cut offs are based on pack voltage not group voltage. This could allow a bad group to be be over discharged, and we would never know unless charging is turned off. Is this line of reasoning sound?

Depends completely on how the BMS was designed and set up…some do and some don’t. If you are wondering about a particular BMS you might have to check the available settings and/or contact the manufacturer.

Bypassing discharge does mean that the BMS has no way to stop an overdischarge from continuing but doesn’t have to affect the charging. Cutoffs can still be based on both pack and cell voltages but some BMS’ might allow below-2.5V charging and others might prevent it since they could think the cell(s) might be damaged.

1 Like

I have the Daly BMS and would like to swap for a Bluetooth smart BMS. Is there a direct replacement that’s plug and play I can buy? Or can anyone point to a guide for the simplest way to swap them out please?

The cleanest and most reliable way would be to open the pack and redo all the balance wires.

The next best option would be carefully cut and solder each wire one by one

Okay so here’s my take on the daly bms.

I am in a boarding club with my school, and we have about 300 members. Virtually all of the members with DIY boards have had a Daly BMS at one point or another. The problem is where we get them from. All Daly BMS’s sourced from Mboards have all had serious issues. Of the 4-5 people that have tried them, all but 1 of them have had the BMS fail on them within a month. However, when sourced from Duck Battery Systems, all have had consistent and safe BMS usage.

I don’t know why exactly this is, but I would assume that Mboards fail to do the proper quality control before shipping out, similar to their work with some of their third party VESC sales.

Just a reminder that this is just what I have personally seen experienced, and there could be more to the story, so if you have any input towards my statement (agreement or disagreement), feel free to contribute.

2 Likes

I don’t really think this is fair to say - what are they supposed to do with a BMS? How would they do quality control? That just has to be a luck of the draw thing.

Ew, fuck playing with hot wires. I’d much sooner make an adapter than either of those options

Its not so baaaaad if you go one by one

1 Like

I’d be able to make an adapter quicker and with less butt clench. But that’s just me.

UR living large with your instock multiple pitch M/F 13 pin jst connectors
BB10780C-C5C1-47AB-9577-41314C9E2A38

1 Like