Creating Manufacturing Standards [SERIOUS]

where is that standard angle adjustment pattern now?

1 Like

Looks like the dropbox folder in which it was in was deleted, @moon can probably share it

was it for the akhlut axels for surfrodz?

Yeah, same one.

Not trying to cause issues, but a true standard should last more than a couple years.
maybe that pattern is still used by @moon, for his gear drives ,not sure

2 Likes

I read goooood

1 Like

The kegel hole mounting pattern is an excellent example of what is considered an established standard within the community, yet there is still a degree of variation. Because there is no standard that says the holes are “x” diameter, each maker has a slightly different take on what constitutes a kegel wheel core. There are examples of “kegel” cores in wheels that are not within appropriate tolerances, which either need to be drilled out, or have heatshrink applied to push-fit pulleys so they work together. If we as a community sat down and determined the acceptable dimensions, then there would be a standard that wheel makers and pulley makers can both design their products to - so that interoperability is assured.

While I am not familiar with what you were specifically referring to, this is a great start. The fact that they were designing to a common standard is reassuring to people who were buying them. They could change parts as they desired. Unfortunately this was not promoted enough and might have been the basis (or at least the start) of a standardised approach.

We have already informally adopted two. - The Kegel and to Abec11 wheel cores. While this really should be a matter of accurate measurement, as a community we have not officially created a global definition of each core. Whether Labeda and Abec11 want to cooperate with us on this is unknown, but would be awesome if they did. Love your attitude @RipTideSports .

If it provides a degree of certainty that your X brand mounts will work with Y brand trucks, then it should build confidence with builders that they are not wasting their money on parts that don’t work together.

3 Likes

This was something I drew up real quick in regards to the thought of maybe creating a standard truck profile rather than profile + size. If for mountain boards/AT style trucks they could at the very least adopt a square profile you could have something like this that would allow mounts to attach to multiple different sizes, allowing for more compatibility across brands.

11 Likes

I like this.

1 Like

the brackets could have slots like the motor tension ones to allow mounting to the clamp at different sizes

Yeah exactly, that’s what I was trying to portray on the right there but maybe it wasn’t super clear. Did draw this pretty quick.

1 Like

yeah it’s a bit hard to make that part out. maybe I just have a potato display on my laptop

At marketing’s whim, the Kegel Core and Abec 11 (are they still in business?) core could go away. This does not effect me personally since I do not use any longboard wheels on any ESK8 I ride. This is an opportunity for someone that wants to start a wheel company to lock in those patterns and market directly to the ESK8 crowd. When trying new things, standards go out the window in search of something superior so I get that. Adapting parts to an OG @MoeStooge Raceboard called for a new axle standard of 66mm…I did not hesitate making one

8 Likes

Interesting, but it’s similar to the old inferior boardnamics clamp design, with the screw on the bottom, it catches on things and gets completely destroyed. Also, fixed angle mounts are nice, about 50% of the time.

Too much variation between setups to have a standard pattern like that - if one were to standardize it, it would need to be based around a circular pattern imo

8 Likes

There’s the challenge. Right now it just seems like Joe Schmoe wants standardize around what he has the most of. Perhaps the first objective is to determine the what to prioritize when standardizing. Is it the currently most common configuration, the one that allows the most flexibility, the one that performs the best (and what defines performance; efficiency, speed, cost, etc).

7 Likes

So far my votes for most common things as candidates for standardization are:

• Kegel
  • Caliber 2 truck profile/angle
  • 63mm motor mounting pattern
  • Newskool truck mounting pattern
  • XT90 for internal power connections
  • 10mm axles

I only really have experience building street boards though. So idk if any of this translates to eMTB

It would be very nice if we had a good metric skate tool. I guess I’m left wondering if there’s even the slightest demand for one aside from a very small portion of niche DIY users.

1 Like

All it takes is for somebody to try to sell one that works, the number of buyers will show how wanted a part like that would be.

Axel threads would need to be metric, along with king pin threads

5 Likes

Ew lol

That’s not standardizing, that’s uprooting everything that currently exists lmao

6 Likes