Creating Manufacturing Standards [SERIOUS]

In the premium DIY / Custom ESK8 space, I am in favor of creating manufacturing standards to create a marketing as well as a practical advantage over the flood of generic mass market builds. The standards could define many things to allow compatibility, interchangeability and longevity. I am curious what others think about this.

40 Likes

Being able to mix and match anything with perfect bolt on fitment would be awesome.
It would also push the fabricators to make even better products. This would create more competition. And competition is usually beneficial to the buyers. Also, I think a standard would make products easier to produce for the makers. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

standardised motor and sensor connectors and panel mounted to enclosure (allows easy change of drivetrains and simplicity for doing some work on the board)

8 Likes

While I think this is great in theory, I think this might be hard for non-mtb builds where the enclosures might have much more variance in shape. (Whereas many mtb enclosures are just boxes)

Otherwise for MTB builds this would be awesome

7 Likes

@Boardnamics @ApexBoards @moon @Savage1 @JJHoyt @Bavioze @MBS @Arch @Ean.esk8 @longhairedboy @torqueboards @DerelictRobot @NoWind @John-Spintend @Agnes_Maytech @YUTW123 @Trampa

This is a job for the product designers and manufacturers, so lets get them all in here :metal:

(I’m sure there are more people to tag, my memory is just shit)

26 Likes

Standardised mounting patterns, hanger profiles, connectors, etc. Would be great. I mean, the major esc’s dont even use the same connectors from batch to batch sometimes. Bn using paris/caliber pivot cup and hanger profiles is one of the best examples of how useful standardised equipment is. As far as panel mounts, thats more use case dependent, but at least if everything used the same freaking plugs more stuff would be plug n play. I for one think that the little 9 pin connectors boosted used were excellent.

12 Likes

I love the idea and think it would benefit our community a ton.

What is to stop the copy cats from doing what they know best though?

Although, if the standards were copied, that may also make the jump from unsatisfied prebuilt rider to happy diy builder an easier and cheaper transition.

It would be great to see a standardized square hanger profile though :eyes:

15 Likes

MR69s on everything!!! Could you even imagine that coming to fruition though… Team work makes the dream work.

15 Likes

You’re never going to be able to stop all the copycats. But if every point in a product that needs to interface with another product is standardized, then it forces manufacturers to innovate in different ways to set their products apart (without sacrificing compatibility).

6 Likes

Honestly if the entire esk8 market (including all the big china manufacturers, all the pre-built brands, etc) got together and pooled their resources, they might be able to clear the MOQ with Amass for a new connector :joy:

12 Likes

Ftfy

But for real tho, if everyone uses the same connector, im sure amass won’t miss out on the potential sale they get down the line, even if they have to invest into a new mold, they got the tech, just need motivation

5 Likes

So much this. 22mm x 22mm makes a lot of sense for eMTB and we have been encouraging this to be the standard. Interoperability of gear is something we should strive for.

12 Likes

We should be flattered if we are copied.

7 Likes

would work just fine on street boards too.

8 Likes

Standardised bushing seats would be nice, too. Lookin at you, torqueboards. Washers work for most situations, but itd be nice to not need them.

1 Like

that would be awesome.

don’t look too hard, he’s not going to change designs on his way out.

6 Likes

Dexter doesnt even HAVE a laboratory. Ill give him some credit though, i actually really like how their trucks handle.

Honestly, the hardest thing to standardize would also be the most beneficial, and thats batteries. A system somewhat similar to nese modules, maybe. But something standard and sturdy and easy to hotswap would be a game changer for real. Hell, if someone starts pumping out easy to mount, hard case batteries, say, 12s3p, with a charge port and an xt90 connection im sure im not the only one who would buy those up like crazy. Bonus points for 12s1p packs that snap together.

3 Likes

Even if we could somehow meet the first year MOQ Amass knows that sales would plummet the subsequent years, until connectors needed to be replaced. We’re a tiny part of a tiny niche market.

Amass doesn’t have to take the risk, I suspect they’re doing fine with the orders they have. It’s just not part of the way these companies do business. I can see a hard-charging, innovative US or EU company possibly taking a chance (LOL…contracting out to Amass), but only if they already have established lines of profitable products.

The solution is simple though…each of us just needs to order 10k pieces. :thinking:

9 Likes

I love the idea but would riders accept loss of 1P of capacity in order to fit the pack case(s) in their enclosures? Or are you envisioning these hard packs as fitting on the board themselves and not in already existing enclosures?

5 Likes

Either or. Preferably, id want each 1p pack to have 2-4 mounting holes. Mount them directly on the deck, and if you need any other gadgets enclosed, either use a small enclosure, like people often already do with their esc, or put the enclosure directly over them. Or, use the mounting holes to hold it in place on the enclosure itself.

1 Like