Creating Manufacturing Standards [SERIOUS]

Everyone needs stanards. :wink:

The "one size fits all " mentality though is just boring. Might as well all break out our boosted boards and make it easy. Better yet we all ride onewheels, less parts to make dope.

1 Like

Makes sense to refer this in here.

4 Likes

Seems like Iā€™m a day late :slight_smile:

I think for quite some things there already is a sort of standard, but it would be good do have a document to list all those things.

For high current chargers/chargeports it would also benefit safety, now everyone is using different ports which is confusing in the end.

Having a esk8 standard does not mean everyone is obligated to follow the standard, it would be just convenient to know for the end customer if different parts would work togheter.

7 Likes

Perhaps instead of agreeing on a standard hanger profile, we could agree on a standard angle-adjustment pattern for mounts and drives? I recall that @LR-designs mounts were compatible with @moon drives and vice-versa, same for @akhlutā€™s axle mounts. I thought that was very cool, led to some super unique setups :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah the 46mm PCD for clamps/plates. I still use that ā€œstandardā€

2 Likes

This thread is now triple serious in case there was any question. Back to business.

9 Likes

Mountainboard trucks: 22mm square, perhaps 22.5, moving forward, matrix 3 and all.
Street trucks, for compatibilitys sake, could stick with caliber profile.

Heres the real problem: none of the major skate companies are part of this conversation right now. Even if we DO develop a nice set of standards for esk8 equipment, the wide majority of companies arent going to follow them.

3 Likes

But it has to start somewhere. This is a long term project, years possibly, and weā€™ll need to always keep that in mind. If we just give up before we start, or when most companies ignore us at the start, then there is a zero percent chance of it succeeding. :slightly_smiling_face:

This will take work, lots of it, and time for any standards we set to spread out wherever they can. As more people talk about them, as more people slowly switch over to standardized parts, the companies will see the potential for profit and consider making standardized parts too.

Not all companies, for sureā€¦but some. Thatā€™s okay, even preferable. A wide variety of standardized and innovative new parts is a healthy mix.

14 Likes

I love the idea.
Iā€™m unable to help with the mechanical end of drive train standardization but I am eager to help wherever I can with the electronics side of things.

Cell and pack ratings, pack construction/wiring standards, connector types/vendors/ratings, ESC/AS switch/BMS/DC-DC converter testing standards, etc. All these things, and many more, can be addressed with either standards or ā€œbest practicesā€ for builders to use and parts buyers to consult. I would love to help with that.

It doesnā€™t have to be technical but some stuff will be. The key is to know the audience for the information and standards. Some info/standards will be for builders and manufacturers and will be quite technical. Other info will be created solely to make parts shopping easier for non-technical people.

This will take time. There will be resistance, those who say ā€œwhy do this? And they could be right, this might not work out.

But the really awesome thing is that there is a chance that it could succeed. That makes it worth my time to help where I can.

6 Likes

My 2 centsā€¦
First, I donā€™t feel that any respectable prebuilt company should conform to any standard if they have a good product that is selling. (You like Hypertrucks, and want a gear drive, buy the falcon. Thatā€™s smart business 101).
This is a DIY community, correct? So, in my opinion, setting standards could possibly hamper DIY and new innovation. (agree or disagree?)

6 Likes

I respectfully disagree.
Standards and innovation can co-exist and do so for so many different types of products. In fact, the existence of standards and the fact that standardized parts are available can often be the catalyst for innovation. Forward-thinking companies will want to create something that helps them stand out from the crowd.

IMO there wonā€™t be fewer people wanting to see innovation (and buy those parts) if standard parts are available. I think it will be the opposite. Standardized parts makes it easier for new riders to go DIY, expanding our community.

At some point many of these new DIYā€™ers will want something different and go looking for the innovative parts that are also available. These new parts sales would not have happened if standardized parts hadnā€™t made it easy for them to go DIY and eventually learn about other options.

13 Likes

The first step is really to convince good well-known brands to come together and agree to start using a common standard that they didnā€™t use before

This has pretty much asked for a esk8 wiki of some sorts for a long time. We have so many threads, so many approaches for battery building and concepts for wire gauges and other solutions, yet we still repeat the same things all over again a new member joins instead of pointing them to area of information backed with science or real life tests. Only reason against such thing is that we wonā€™t be able to keep up updating it or that many of the things we consider standards donā€™t have much science behind it other than ā€˜ā€˜my wires donā€™t get hotā€™ā€™

Area that really has been begging for it has been battery building, there are multiple approaches with fishpaper and tape but there is no explenation underneath the approach. My first battery build turned into reverse engineering spree of a sort and asking people arround why they do things the way they do.

9 Likes

This makes a ton of sense. We should definitely have a wiki with a ā€œcommon standardsā€ page and a ā€œbest practicesā€ page for both electrical and mechanical.

1 Like

I love you @Battery_Mooch , and so respect your opinion. I have learned tons from you. Thank you!

What standards though?

The real standards I know that are missing are actual axel diameter dimensions with +/- tolerances , and maybe lengths. This should be a standard not to be dismissed, but is, and causes problems.
This is a real shit show. Ever wonder why an 8mm axel has a 5/16-24 thread? Or a 12mm axel has a 7/16 -20 thread. ?

6 Likes

Someone should really get on creating the wiki for this.

What about wheel hub standards? Iā€™m really confused about all the different adapters you need for different gear drives. I guess most people agree kegel should be the thane standard. But what about pneumatics? As far as i know thereā€™s tons of hub adapter patterns.

4 Likes

while the ā€œtrampaā€ 5-point star seems to be a common standard for pneumatics, I really like what @surfnacho does with InfinityHubs, giving a single standard of kegel mounting for both street and pneumatic wheels.

1 Like

I disagree. As I mentioned earlier about the standard angle adjustment pattern ā€“ it allowed people to mix and match trucks and drives they never could before. I would call that the opposite of hampering DIY and innovation :slight_smile:

Of course, if a standard gets in the way of someone trying out a new idea, then they have to ignore that standard, but if it just means adding a few more grams of material to comply, then imho it is 100% worth it.

7 Likes

Now, it might sound like Iā€™m an Aussie, but Iā€™m not :wink: , but I do agree with @glyphiks, and @Tony_Stark on this subject.
That said, There is somewhat of a ā€œstandardā€ already being set by respected DIY vendors here. (@moon, @boardnamics, @Apex , and 3DS) for mechanical parts.
Subsequent DIY suppliers might want to make their parts to support theirs parts as well. But that would require all parties working together

2 Likes