Charge ports and fast charging

@bwahl602 got the Evo hooked up with a second 5.5x2.1 charge port. Dual port charging FTW! Tempted to buy the new 5.5A but for now this 4.4A and 2A should be fiiiiiiine.

4 Likes

Hope it lasts, I got tired of replacing the 2.5 mm ones, brand new they got hot but worked, I think as they get dirty, started to get hotter and melt completely at 4.5 A

1 Like

Anyone else have experience with those 2 pin LP-20 connectors? Any advice on mounting the female port on enclosures?

2 Likes

I was not part of that group buy, but had the same issue with yzpower chargers. Purchased a 6a, recieved a 4a.

1 Like

yeah they were YZā€¦ interesting thoā€¦ i dont recall if anyone else had any major swings in outputā€¦ maybe 1 person was off by a marginal amount but not halfā€¦ keep me posted tho

@b264 What purpose does a fuse serve on a charge port? Curious bc looking into buying new battery

1 Like

Protects you from large rush of current. I believe what we generally use is 15A fuse. So instead of frying your BMS, it would just pop a cheap fuse

Well, for one, it prevents this

And there are many reasons. The biggest reason to do it is the utter lack of reasons NOT to do it. It canā€™t hurt but it can sure help. Iā€™ve shorted things out by mistake a few times and fused charge ports are definitely good. Itā€™s one more layer of safety net between ā€œokayā€ and ā€œfireā€. Especially if you leave your board to charge unattended ā€” and letā€™s be honest here, literally nobody stares at their board for 3 hours while it charges ā€” then itā€™s one more layer of reassurance.

Plus, we are human and you never know what can happen.

You know, legend has it that one forum member got home once after drinking a couple brews and the girlfriend figure was asking 50 questions while the dog was in lick-your-face mode and while trying to plug in the skate accidentally stuck the door key in the charge hole, because dumb. Fuses help that kind of thing too.

18 Likes

Just saying, that forum member may have been me. No promises.

11 Likes

Does not help when the metal becomes welded to said shorting pins

A fuse definitely helps in that instance.

1 Like

the welding no fuse yes.

avoids welding at all pretty much.

2 Likes

LOL gotta say you have me convinced. Can you link me a guide to soldering fuses? Iā€™ve looked through a few of your threads and canā€™t find anything definitive.

1 Like

I donā€™t know of one specifically for fuses, but just follow this in general

2 Likes

Sorry, shoulda phrased my question better as Iā€™m really just wondering where to solder the fuse onto. Is it onto the charge port cables or on to the main battery leads or somewhere else?

On the negative lead of the charge port

4 Likes

Is that 2 5s chargers?

1 Like

I love mineā€¦ itā€™s big though and probably a bit of an overkill for meā€¦ but when you hear that snapā€¦ oh baby!

it was parallel 12S I thought

if you want to series power supplies you want The Last Power Supply (Charger) Youā€™ll Ever Need

I thought you couldnā€™t parallel psu