Charge ports and fast charging

My next battery build will be a 16.8 Ah 12S4P made with P42As. Their data spec sheet lists a standard charge current of 1C or 4.2 amps. So theoretically this pack could be charged at 16.8 amps. It also means that a 4a charger is a measly 0.25C charge rate. Anyways, as I started to look at higher amp options, I was limited quickly by the 5.5x2.1 dc barrel connector. There are some “10 amp” capable ones that look identical to the 5A rated ones online.

I just finished building two 20AH 12S5Ps. And these are tiny compared to what some people are building into rather small enclosures. I expect battery capacity to continue to grow as will the desire to charge faster.

Having said all of that. I’m thinking about getting something in the range of 8amps to use at home for quicker charging and having a smaller one for travel. Any recommendations on a connector that retains a small form factor on the enclosure side without taking up too much enclosure space. Something with a higher amp rating in the 15-30 range would be preferred.

Been looking at the GX16-2 which is 15 amp rated. However I don’t see any dust covers
Then again comes the challenge of available terminations on the charger side of things

1 Like

Check out that connector bioboards uses on their charger

1 Like

Xt30? 30a rating, small, and you can create a dust cover by simply epoxying a terminal.
I charge at 9.6a with an xt90

7 Likes

Just make sure your charge port and loopkey are never the same connector.

15 Likes

True. Mine are, but are in completely different settings. Loopkey slot is in a 3d printed holder on the back (thx @mmaner) and chargeport requires me to open the case and unplug my lightbar (it uses the chargeport for power) to connect the charger

2 Likes

summoning @Andy87

2 Likes

I consider the XT 30 of course because it’s very small, cheap and has the amp capacity. They are just generally a bit flimsy and I’m concerned about it’s a longevity

I considered putting both types of ports in the enclosure as well

1 Like

I am also concerned about longevity when it comes to XT30.

1 Like

The GX16-4 aviation connector is rated at 15A and if you use two pins for positive and two pins for negative than that’s 30A charging.

5 Likes

Can you plug in two chargers…?

I saw that. There’s a two pin of that available too but I hadn’t considered doubling the 4 pin
@b264 at the same time an XT60 really isn’t much bigger especially compared to a 5.5x2.1 socket. I feel better about the durability and there’s no question about the amps

2 Likes

I double jack my boards now 5.5 DC to slow charge and 2 pin waterproof aviation jack for 8 amp charging both fused.

5 Likes

I charge at 20A and use an xt60. Easy.

I use the other half of the xt60 with the terminals covered in hot glue as a plug/cover

5 Likes

I’m gonna be using this connector and receptacle (mayble smaller receptacle) for 3phase 400v 30A charging on an EV, not quite what you’re looking for but definitely more on the exotic side of charging. Its good for 36kw, and probbaly won’t be the max I can achieve

5 Likes

If you do end up wanting to go for 5.5 x 2.1 Jack, these are 10A rated, cheap, and all metal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S5ZLFDG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_T4X.EbNPS8TKV

4 Likes

Those are good jacks, and I recommend them, but they get warm at 4-5A and I don’t know if I’d trust them at 10A. At least monitor to see if they get hot before you just trust them.

Are you using any past that? Just curious

5 Likes

Nope, 8A charger just arrived though. Obviously it won’t get warm without drawing current so I have to wait on my battery to arrive.

Or I could charge my 10s2p 30q pack at 8A :woozy_face:

5 Likes

Dude. Every one of your posts makes me have fantastic ( but actually terrible ) ideas

1 Like

What charger are you using bro ?

@Accrobrandon ran a group buy.

3 Likes

This one is good for 20A. But it’s quite big; you’d need a high enclosure wall to mount it in.

4 Likes