Charge ports and fast charging

Ya you’re right Mixed them up.

Those dust covers look great

They look great. But they are metal. Make damn sure you fuse those charge ports. The metal cap WILL short those pins out if you’re drunk or tired or it’s dark and you can’t see well.

1 Like

Also the first time they get wet, they have this sandy grit on them and they do NOT screw on smoothly, it’s like grinding

Yeah mine is still open until the rubber cap comes. I don’t have it fused yet, probably should throw a 10a fuse in there

I highly, highly recommend the rubber caps

And make sure you use a washer, they don’t stay on very well at all without a washer. (I mean a bigger washer than the stock ones)

I’ve been using these for years, they are good jacks. But the metal caps suuuuuuck.

The rubber caps are surprisingly good.

5 Likes

Fuse it now

1 Like

6 Likes

There were two options on my link but I do agree that visually the metal caps do look pretty cool. I got the rubber ones from the same link

Also here’s a few pics on my enclosure

1 Like

Good info @b264. The metal caps look nice but I see what you mean. I’ll order rubber caps instead.

I’m torn between the 2 pin or 4 pin. Looking at chargers now. If I intend to stay at 12 amps or less I’d be fine with the GX16-2. But I could go with the 4 and have some extra headroom by running two pins each together.

I don’t see a use right now for a GX16-3 unless I used the extra pin for external voltage display or something.

1 Like

If I did it again, I’d go for the 4 pin. GND on pins 0,1 and PWR on pins 2, 3 (directly into a fuse)

3 Likes

I’m definitely going to take advantage of this and add a second connector. Even just looking at the p42a pack I’m planning to build, the ability to charge at 1C and that being their standard rate is awesome. And I’ve been considering buying a four amp charger which would be 40% of that standard charge rate. That would land me near 4 hours instead of 1. This is a must

I’m surprised to not see a mention of the SP13 waterproof connectors.

Smaller cleaner, looking, cap built. Sure it’s made of plastic but I’ve never run into any issues (not that I’ve ever smashed my chargeport). But it’s also basically impossible to short the port.

4 Likes

What current do those handle?

1 Like

The 2 pin one claims 10 Amps its got slightly larger (1.8mm) pins the multi pinned ones are smaller pins (1mm) and it claims 5amps. I believe that is per pin…

Been charging 12s at 4A for a couple years now no issues.

2 Likes

makes me wonder. What’s the point to doubling wires with a 4pin? Is it for solidity or just cus they’re there?

6 1mm pins would give you more current capacity then 2 1.8mm pins. According to the spec sheet that’d give you a 20A charge port I think.

But more pins means more current/less heat.

1 Like

@stratoglide and that’s why I went full xt90. No need for math, I’ll never charge at anything over 20a :joy:

2 Likes

My First 2 builds charge with xt90’s as well it was just easy and cheap.

1 Like

There is no such thing as a 10 amp DC plug especially at 50 volts. Gx16 is the go to but has to have a water tight can and fuse (60 amp) if charging at 10 amps. I use a 50 amp 12v fuse I charge at 8 amp, I tried the 20 amp use in my other build it got very warm.

3 Likes

the negative solder terminal on these break off VERY easily, just soldered to the outside instead. I would rather find something better quality.

Also don’t fit the plug from @Accrobrandon’s charger GB, but mines got an XT60 now!

1 Like