remove the hall sensor first and unravel however you can

1 Like

Do hall sensors need to be removed ?

Also I think th start of the phases are all heat Shrinked together

I don’t see how you could unwind or wind without removing the sensor board

2 Likes

K thanks a lot

Gonna look more into it soon

Just get the wire all off and maybe too much work to try to figure what was on. U can just do a rewind with a very thin wire to figure what wire u will ultimately put on.
Maybe bake it and will soften the epoxy n pliers n maybe a dremel. Do not scratch the insulation on the stator off. U have a wound stator on a bearing tube there.

1 Like

what do you mean by dont scratch the insluation

I hope you have a good memory, because you should be learning all of the basics of brushless permanent magnet motors while doing this rebuild. The stator is insulated from the windings somehow. Try not to damage it.

Usually insulation in motors is some kind of epoxy coating. It might look shiny.

1 Like

so the windings have an enamel coating is that what you are talking about or is it a further level of insulation

will send pics in a mo about what i am dealing with

should i count the amount of strands @hummieee

Same idea, but yeah. A different layer of insulation. It’s on the stator itself.

1 Like

k will be very careful while unraveling

so found out the motors are configered in wye format

what are the advantages and disadvantages of wye over delta if i am custom winding?

thank you

To oversimplify… wye is lower kv for the same turns, but less oomf vs the same kv in delta.

1 Like

so in even simpler terms

wye is simpler to wind
delta is better but harder to wind?

They are wound the same, just terminated differently.

1 Like

oh ok

so im guessing winding delta is recommended?

Not necessarily. wye produces a cleaner magnetic field.

1 Like

english?

I think you should do both and add a button on your remote to switch on the fly. Go all in.

Better yet, control the switching w/ a microcontroller to react to speed and input.

2 Likes

genius…

actually though what would you recommend

i am trying to get these drives as powerful as possible while still keeping acceleration smooth and silent (zero cogging)

For DDs I would probably try wye.

2 Likes

k guess i can always decide at the end?

so i cut the start and end of the phase and am trying to find the best way to cut the rest of the copper

instead of twisting from the end of the phase can i just cut it all off?