Bushing and Truck Setup Help Offered

OK, you have Trucks: BN184 that are adjustable, what angles will you be setting them up at?

2 Likes

Honestly I have no idea. Iā€™ve never had adjustable baseplates before and donā€™t have much experience outside of channel trucks.

OK, what range of adjustment do you have to work with an what are you building the board to do?

1 Like

You get to pick from 0/15/30/40/50/60 degrees and they ride a bit tall

1 Like

Type of riding?

1 Like

Looks like rough sidewalks around 20 mph, and heā€™s not a heavy kid

1 Like

Weight is important so please provide

155-160lbs

OK at 160 pounds, sidewalk riding I would suggest setting the board up with a 50 degree front and 30 degree rear with KranK 87a Cones up front and KranK 87a Barrels in back. Have Small Cup Washers for the cones, Large Cup Washers for the barrels and Small Flat Washers for both the cones and barrels available for additional tuning options.

2 Likes

Thank you :+1: Iā€™ll be placing the order soon.

Also one more question, will the black cup washers you sell rust when exposed to water/road salt?

I think their corrosion resistance is less than the silver treatment and we donā€™t always have the black in stock.

1 Like

On in less than an hour: Racers Republic - PEVs Events in France - 30th Jan. 2022 / 8pm Paris Time #LiveStreamingTalk #121 - YouTube

Whats the idea around the kapton? to keep the pivot lasting longer due to the extreme tensile strength?

1 Like

Oh, no itā€™s long beyond being fixable that just made a lot of the slop go away. They are in an application with 0 importance on steering slop.

Speaking of bushing and stuff with slop I got these $10 truck sets with strangely oversized 8.4mm Id barrel bushings also the truck baseplate had 5.5mm holesā€¦

@RipTideSports hoping to get your feedback for bushings on a new build.

Boardnamics 220mm hangers. 160lbs rider. 50 degree front / 43 degree rear. Mostly ripping around suburb streets ~25 mph.

Would Krank 87a or 90a barrels all around be a reasonable starting place? thanks!

1 Like

I would go with the KranK 90a and run cup washers in the back and flats up front

4 Likes

Wow, that was FAST. Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

@RipTideSports

Hi, just converted my Meepo Hurricane to the Ownboard Zeus TKP setup (changed basepates, discussed in Hurricane thread), so basically asking for a Zeus bushing setup (I guess).

180lbs rider, mostly interested in higher speed (>25mph) carving, AT/Clouds for now, not too much rebound, stability is key. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

1 Like

@RipTideSports

Iā€™ve got some bushing theory/truck design questions.

So on TKPs, youā€™ll often have the kingpin, and the pivot axis intersecting at an angle other than 90 degrees. Iā€™ve been referring to this as the bushing interference angle. Most trucks outside of TKPs tend to keep the interference angle at 90 degrees, where thereā€™s the most engagement.

So Iā€™ve just been considering that, and asking ok what are you gaining by having a reduced interference angle? And whatā€™s the lowest you can practically go?
I donā€™t have that good of an understanding of TKPs, and I feel like Iā€™m working off too many presumptions. My intuition tells me that having a lower interference angle should allow you to retain more lean with harder/shorter bushings, at the expense of losing more energy to friction in the bushing seat. I would also assume that 90 degree interference would result in a more direct 1:1 feel of the bushing, and a stronger center, and that going lower would result in a more indirect bushing feel.
I wouldnā€™t expect it to change bushing progression, but Iā€™m not entirely sure. The rotation/compression relationship I donā€™t think changes throughout the lean.

So thereā€™s lots of thoughts there about where I might want to consider doing things different.

For instance, I was thinking about this idea for a PKP.
Three Bushing configuration Reduced bushing interference angle

What happens if you put the bushings at an angle like this?
Can I use these angles to get more lateral support from the bushings, and get a more precise lean action? And if I can, whatā€™s the limit?

If I keep twisting these bushings until the interference angle is 0, Iā€™m essentially getting two pivots/pivot cups instead.

Zero interference

Speaking of which:
Got myself a pair of MBS Vector Trucks.

twinpin5

Wow, look at that. What a weird setup.

So this thing here, in my mind I see as a sort of primitive queenpin truck.
Like the Ronin

a033220960ed3ddc798d8886640fd01f

Or Fyre Truck

Fyre_Tighten_Cross_Section

My question here has to do with bushing seats.
On queenpin trucks, the bushing seats from what Iā€™ve seen all tend to be pretty much wide open and unrestricted. This makes sense as youā€™re no longer relying on the bushings for lateral support, so in my mind you want to allow the bushing to flex and rebound as naturally and unencumbered as possible, basically letting as much of the bushing shine through as possible. That makes sense to me.

I guess the one exception to that I can think of is if youā€™re designing for a topmount setup without wheel cutouts, and you want to rely on the bushing seat for lean restriction.

So if you need neither lean restriction, nor lateral support, is there any reason left to want restriction in your bushing seat?

My reason for asking that is, these MBS vector trucks are really restrictive on the bushings, Iā€™d consider over 50% of the bushing sidewalls as captive, and Iā€™m just not seeing any good reason for it.
Its as if theyā€™re trying to go for more stability and control, but wouldnā€™t it be better to just have less restricted harder bushings?

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, what height bushings do the Zeus TKP trucks take?

1 Like