Bushing and Truck Setup Help Offered

Those are Kahua trucks, they come with two sizes of bushings. 13mm roadside and 15mm boardside. Riptide street series roadside and longboard boardside fit the same as the stock bushings.

2 Likes

I heard from a a few people that the stock kahua bushings were crap so I wanted to upgrade them asap. I figured it was a was a popular truck so there would be people who had done exactly this who would know what I needed.

The kingpin is 43mm and what @I_draw_boxes said is correct

1 Like

OK for Kahua trucks the set up I have been enjoying is a KranK 90a StreetCone / Canon front and a Canon / Magnum back on 50 degree Caliber II base plates.

4 Likes

Hmm itā€™s mildly annoying that haggyboards.com sells Kahua trucks named so similar to kahuna

Oh spoke too soon kahuna does not make trucks

1 Like

I heard from a a few people that the stock kahua bushings were crap

They are just soft. Iā€™m sure theyā€™re fine for lighter riders, but given how wide the trucks are most will want to change bushings. Getting the ideal bushings for your weight and riding style is a huge improvement for very little money and RipTideSports are great.

They list 92a for the stock, I bought 93a and 96a Krank and the 93a Krank feel quite a bit harder than the stock 92a.

Front: SS Barrel/Cannon Rear: SS Barrel/Magnum all 93a Krank on an Evo with the stock Kahua baseplates. I weigh 190. Itā€™s a nice mix of stability at speed and turn-ability.

1 Like

Corrected my spelling

1 Like

Do you think the Kahua trucks could make it into your shop-by-truck system?

1 Like
1 Like

ah I have two unused fiddy cal baseplates sitting here, Ill use those.

1 Like

Still not happening

unless I get a longer kingpin
Iā€™ll get some of these then

these are a closer height actually

1 Like

Yes, but e are swamped with other items right now like TP shortages

1 Like

Not sure what is going on with your setup but here is mine Street height roadside, longboard height boardside:

Front

Back

1 Like

tried painted newer caliber baseplates like yours that were closer but no dice with barrels both sides.

I settled for using the stock kahua baseplates as the pivot of the hanger fit much better in it, and iā€™m using the stock street side bushing as all the other ones I have are larger.
I tried to take a panorama

is this not a legit way to solve this?

@RipTideSports

Could you direct me to a few pics of what an overtightened bearing + precision washer setup looks like? I know the general donā€™t go over 720* past difficult to turn by hand, but since I donā€™t really know what Iā€™m doing, I always get a little concerned when I see the washer digging in and the bushing bulging over. Pics Iā€™m posting are less than Iā€™ve done before and under 720*.

Iā€™ve been having some weird truck feelings ever since I changed a few things at once (bad idea) and Iā€™m trying to narrow it down. Maybe one thing of importance I learned - the geometry of the heXL baseplate is such that a tall bushing is required board side or else centers do not line up correctly once the pivot is seated. I always thought something looked funky when I was using the standard sized bushings. To remedy this, Iā€™ve added the height equivalent in solid washers underneath. Do you think this is bad? Should I just eat it and buy tall bushings as well? If the washers arenā€™t there, the baseplate hits one half of the perimeter of the top of the bushing at an angle, and begins to compress it in that orientation.

Also, of slight note, an array precision washer w/stubby support wonā€™t fit fresh bushings. If you line everything up, and tighten them down, for lower duros it will press itself in - for higher duros, it will typically go in at a slight angle, and pop back out of the bushing when you take the kingpin back out. To remedy this, you can slightly wallet the washer end of the bushing or slightly chamfer it w/a very sharp blade (and Brad will probably tell you thatā€™s a bad idea) - speaking of the array washers, do you have any feelings on them over plain flat washers @RipTideSports?

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/9681/array-machined-barrel-sleeved-washers

1 Like

@RipTideSports what do the different hardware do

I currently use large curved washers at the back but I want it to be tighter at the back what should I use

1 Like

You can shim up standard bushings to to proper height but best to use TallBushings. Having that much exposed king pin is definitely a liability and Hexel trucks can take larger shapes than TallBarrels so you might want to try TallFatCones and TallChubbys, especially if you are having to tighten the nut so much. Best position for the larger shapes is boardside. Precisions washers can be used but for the expense, I would just use standard cupped washers if you want to restrict a setup

Cupped washers are more restrictive than flats. If the cups arenā€™t enough, you need to go up in shape or durometer.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ what do you mean by liability?

It bugs me to say, but I was somehow mostly fine at 35mph+ā€¦ with the standard barrels, no shimmingā€¦ and an absolute fucking monstrosity that I wonā€™t attempt to get into any argument aboutā€¦ somebody on the forum did it, it came into my handsā€¦ and I somehow didnā€™t notice itā€¦

But I digressā€¦

Noticing the whole geometrical centers thing tho, will post a pic if itā€™s confusing, I just canā€™t consciously go back to the setup I had. Somethingā€™s definitely not right about compression coming down at that angle.

It looks like thereā€™s enough kingpin to run two Tallbushings. Would the only difference between 2X TallBushing be more leaning and carvability at the price of stability, and 1X TallBushing 1X standard barrels be less carve and more stability? I presume in the end the difference is probably pretty mildā€¦ But fuck. Now Iā€™m just confused. Kinda just wanna say fuck everything and get new trucks at this point.

1 Like

Liability in the sense of easy to hang up on an obstruction. Hanger crash is evident due to the unshimmed use of .6" tall bushings. Personally I never did trust the Hexel hanger design for several reasons so if you can afford other trucks, for your high speed set up, I would encourage you to do so. Tall bushing set ups can be made to perform like standard bushing height set ups but you need to go harder or bigger with the bushings in the tall configuration

I thought the hangar crash was due to whoever the fuck put the not even close to correct pivot cup in there lmao. Or is that just a way to have steez I wasnā€™t aware of.

Actually, to be fair, there is no grinding on my front truck. Same bushing setup, correct pivot cup. Think that was purely a pivot cup thing haha.

There seriously not a lot of wide axle truck options on the market.

3DS is good but stupid fucking expensiveā€¦

Kahua is the only option id trust with fixed axles, but they still have a 12mm stepped axleā€¦

Canā€™t trust boardnamics for personal reasonsā€¦

Donā€™t want to use surf rodz because of shoulder boltsā€¦ RKP motor mount options also suckā€¦

What is the #1 RipTide endorsed ~300mm axle to axle truck w/8mm bearings :frowning: