Building with the Bustin Sportster

Wow! That’s a lot of space on the sides! I read on Alan’s web-site that 12s5p doesn’t fit though, only room for 9 cells in width… That got me thinking – could you use a combination of different cell types to make a 4.5P battery? :thinking: 5P packs would be 35E cells, and 4P packs would be 30Q cells. Would that even work? Or would that damage the 4P groups because they will run out of capacity faster :man_shrugging:

(Should probably continue discussion in another thread, this one is for the sportster)

1 Like

Awesome!
i have an enclosure on the way…
do you think you’ll have enough ground clearance with the Caliber’s mounted on the top?

1 Like

Just measured. Clearance wood be around 5.5cm - not so bad.

Yeah there is a lot of room. These are 30q - maybe he was saying you can’t do that with larger cells?

That’s correct, there is not enough room for 10 18650 cells in parallel, you could mount 9 but that’s not a pretty number. The good news is you can fit 8 x 21700 cells in parallel, so thee is proper room for 12S4P 21700. That’s what people are building these days, way more space/capacity efficiency.

3 Likes

That would be 18S3P 18650’s tho…

I can’t wait to build a sportster one day.

3 Likes

awesome, that’s a lot more than i’d guessed it’d be, thanks!
i’m using 85mm Neo Hubs, realized that Paris 50 degree sit a bit taller than the Calibers so hopefully that’ll all work out, goal is to keep it as light and low as possible.

This is with 90mm neohub

1 Like

cool, so i should get 5.25cm with the 85mm’s and Calibers, getting excited!

I’m gonna pick one up for mine. Still debating MK2 vs 3 for 12S4P 42A. Even with 110s on drop thru, I think this board is gonna be low. @ryansinatra how’s your clearance look?

I wonder if 10 18650s would fit the 21700 enclosure with either end at an angle… like this \——————/ it’s only going to gain a few mm at most though

Clearance is around 5.5cm with 90mm wheels on drop thru caliber trucks.

1 Like

I think this was the Mk1,
if the MK2 and 3 are bigger 10 x 18650s may fit?

2 Likes

You’re crazy, man!

1 Like

I’m at work so I gotta be bread but I’m going to model and release 3d files for a riser and cover for the nose and tail forks of the Mk3 enclosure. Hopefully that helps with your decision!

1 Like

Nice. I’ll be going drop through TKP

2 Likes

A question for all you Sportster ‘E’ core owners. Do you think this deck would be stiff enough for my 195lbs weight?

And could someone please tell me the distance between the drop downs. As in, the length of the useable area for standing on.

I’m 160lbs, the video is me flexing it as much as possible, I don’t think it’ll flex anywhere near this much with regular riding (the creaking noise is my knees :wink:

it’s about 24" between the drop downs

2 Likes

Wicked, thanks for that mate, great help. As my h as I love this deck, that isn’t enough stance width for me :unamused:

1 Like

I’ve got two used carbon pro decks that I’ll sell cheap if u pick up in San Francisco

i wonder if there’s enough clearance for 110mm wheels with DKP trucks.