Boosted Board V1 Revival - Battery Rebuild

Definitely not needed, but many of us prefer it. Way easier to open an app and check your battery’s health than measuring voltages manually.

For your space-limited situation, I’d just get a daly, something small but solid.

ie Daly Li-Ion BMS – Duck Battery Systems

+1

I think any BMS where you can open an app to check cell voltages is fine. The CANBUS enabled BMSs are smaller, and there is constantly development around the communication with the VESC. Eventually, in addition to a low voltage cut-off, it will be able to reduce power if one group in an unbalanced pack gets too low to protect the pack.

All these BMSs should be used in a charge-only configuration, with the VESC connected directly to the battery… but the charge port running through the BMS.

2 Likes

Roger! This makes it quite clear.

I’ll go back to looking at VESCs now, see if maybe the one mentioned for sale above would fit.

Can I get some advice on choosing a remote? Just random googling shows quite a lot of options… is there anything close to (in shape and quality) to the boosted one?

Closest remote I can think of is a Flipsky VX1 pro.

Basic, relatively reliable… 2.4Ghz Remote VX1 Pro for DIY electric skateboard – FLIPSKY

It’s more expensive but the remote I mentioned previously, the Hoyt Puck, is the most reliable and popular option we’ve got. Some people print different cases for them in case you don’t like the original puck shape.

That puck shape is indeed a bit weird but having it reliable is more important.

I randomly ended up on focbox website but while their vescs are out of stock, I did notice their remote looks exactly the same as the flipsky one you mentioned. Btw, what’s the difference between the two options "for vesc4 and for vesc6? Would this work with any other vesc out there?

There are a few used ones for sale on the forums.

MakerX DV6 - $175
Focbox Unity - $170
Spintend UBox 75v V1 - $175?
Spintend Ubox 100v V2 - $265

Any will work, but the first two are probably better choices if you want small size

Some diagrams in this thread

DV6 is 106 x 71 x 23mm

Unity is 117 x 68 x 19mm

Good suggestions above on remotes. Some more options for remotes:

Z.Mote - been 100% reliable for me.
Tried a VX4 recently. Was actually pretty nice. Early ones had some firmware issues?

7 Likes

This doesn’t matter. Just need to switch the TX and RX lines on UART based remotes that say that.

Personally I like PPM based remotes better, more adjustability and while not proven, I think less lag. If they have an additional UART connection for display data that’s fine.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s the same remote, rebranded for them. But try not to buy from Massive Stator, they’re run by a jackass who screwed over the scene quite a bit.

& Yeah, for vesc4 vs vesc6, just a matter of switching the connection on your remote receiver

3 Likes

Thanks guys! Completely amazed by all the help I’ve been getting here. You’re all awesome. We’ll have the board running in no time.

@haven, I’ll PM you later and maybe I’ll take that DV6 off your hands.

If you are keeping those LiFEPo4 cells make sure you get a BMS that supports LiFEPO4 cells.
The LTT one will work I think because it’s programmable via bluetooth, but the mboards one you linked probably not.

If you switch cells to more modern ones then homie I gotta say if you’re changing the battery and the esc and the bms and the enclosure (you will need a new enclosure to fit your new cells) but keeping the underpowered v1 motors you’re selling yourself short.

My recommendation to you is:

• if money is short keep everything the same and just charge the a123 battery the way hummie recommends (I didn’t understand what he said but I know he knows what he’s talking about)
  • if money is medium-short get yourself a Backfire Zealot: Backfire Zealot Belt Drive Electric Skateboard – Backfire Boards it’s like boosted V1 but better in every way and only $550
  • if money is long just build yourself a new board - if you like the Loaded Vanguard and reverse kingpin trucks, the get that deck, enclosure from eboardsperu, trucks and drivetrain from boardnamics, esc and bms as above and build yourself a nice battery from modern powerful cells like molicel p42a - then you’ll have a machine you can really get into and upgrade when you get the need for even more speed.
2 Likes

These are great points that nobody else mentioned.

You could even get the Zealot and swap everything to the Boosted deck! Like this :point_down:

3 Likes

That boosted deck with zealot parts looks awesome. I bet it’s way more comfortable to ride than the stock v1 boosted wheels.
The specs are indeed impressive on these zealots board and getting one would probably be the easiest solution.

Now, we can’t do that. Not sure how to explain, money is not necessarily the issue. It’s the idea that lately I’ve been getting all sorts of unrelated “toys” and if I want to keep my status with my wife in good standing, I need to keep new buys to the minimum. The whole premise for this build was to use/re-use what we already have and not waste/throw away good parts.

I know the v1 motors are quite outdated but for now, for me, they’re quite fast enough. The story with the a123 cells, well, the original plan was to rebuilt the pack and just use it. It didn’t work out and I ended up with a bunch of spare a123s. I don’t want to waste them. I can make an enclosure to fit a 12s2p pack which should give me over 10 miles of range.

Technically at this point, the only things we’d need to buy are the VESC, remote and some sort of BMS option. Selling the v1 remote/ESC may even offset some of this cost but that’s not the point for now.

Btw, @GnomeMeansNo good catch about the BMS. That mboards one doesn’t seem to have a lifepo4 option while the LTT one is programable and it does. If I can’t find a simpler one, I’ll get the LTT.

Worst case I could even skip the BMS as I do have a pretty beefy balance charger used in the RC world but I really didn’t want to have to use that every time with the board. Staying portable with the simple boosted charger would be the goal here.

1 Like

What about this one? This would work for our use case, right? Connected just for charging and bypassed for the load.

Actually, on 2nd thought these might not be idea. The LTT smart BMS might be better. I’m thinking with these, if I use the boosted charger brick, there won’t be a way to tell when is charging complete…

1 Like

Yeah, and LLTs are pretty cheap. If you can fit it in the enclosure, I’d just grab the LLT and call it good.

I was about to go ahead with the Hoyt Puck remote but last second I realized it doesn’t show the board’s battery charge level. With no obvious way for me to quickly check the charge left this is kind of a dealbreaker. How are those using the puck dealing with this?

The other one (flipsky/focbox) might work well too… not sure where to get it from. If I order from flipsky website, it’ll come from China, right? Any US retailer suggestions for remote options?

1 Like

If you’re planning to use an LLT BMS, you can use the app to check your charge.

1 Like

Right, I thought about that after I already posted… still not ideal. Easier to just look at the remote while riding. I’ll probably go with the flipsky one, looks like amazon carries them too and shipping is quick.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m the same way, I like remote telemetry. Make sure you get the VX1 Pro and not the regular VX1, it’s supposedly way better.

Oh I see, I haven’t realized there’s a pro version. I see it has better reception and difference receiver. Ugh, amazon only carries the regular. Back to searching…

1 Like