Boardnamics Sealed Belt Drive

Ight, imma go break into ur garage kevin. Didn’t mean to reply to you Bill lol

3 Likes

No worries, just steal me some shit.

5 Likes

First impressions: very good :grinning:
So the assembly is just orgasmic to put together, or maybe I appreciate this kinda stuff too much. This thing has NO slop…at all, anywhere.

The rubber o-ring is awesome!
It accounts for tolerance stackup and pretensions the entire drive slightly. When you tighten the case on, it ever so slightly squeezes the o-ring, picking up the slack.
The bigger bearing rides on the pulley as well as a smaller bearing on the bigger pulley. No slop at all, this pulley is very rigid! Ideal. The pulley also has no visible runout or wobble.

Press-fit adapter is a bit too tight. It is quite possible permanent. I have not tried oil during assembly yet. Installs easiest by tightening a nut against a series of spacers. Better than too loose!

The kegel pins are perfect. A firm fit, but removable with your hands.

24 Likes

kevin, that was totally worth the wait. muchas gracias

6 Likes

Excuse the ignorance but for sealed belt drives, does that mean some sort of grease or oil will be placed inside? How will the belts fair?

1 Like

No, belts should be ran dry.
Just from assembling, I am pretty convinced you can get this waterproof just by using threadlocker to seal all the threads, and maybe some grease along the outside of the case to fill and impurities.

5 Likes

Okay, that’s what I figured since I think belts and other oils/grease can cause premature breakdowns. That said, it does seem odd to me that’s the case. Isn’t there some sort of neutral oils or grease that could help with wear and tear?

1 Like

I think the rubber on smooth metal has all the lack of friction you need.

wet belt drives sounds interesting, at that level of complexity should just use gears.

1 Like

That was my next question but I think @Boardnamics has stated in the past he wasn’t interested in making geared drives.

Makes sense as belts are cheaper to replace and I’d imagine gears are more expensive in the long run (ie more moving parts, more gears to replace, etc).

I’d be interested in seeing a geared drive too though

1 Like

Belts fail 90% of the time because they’re exposed to the elements. Just one pebble is enough to get caught in the pulley, making the pulley bigger, and snapping it.

I want to replace gears as the high performance standard. Let the testing begin.

14 Likes

The snow will bow in fear of this belt drive

10 Likes

wow what a innovation ! will be great also for the matrix ll :smile:

4 Likes

I read before on the old forum that people use treadmill belt lubricants on belts to make them supposedly roll better.

That was 2017 and there was no sealed belt drives yet since lubricants will just attract dust and sediments.

I wonder if that can be applied on this now?

1 Like

From what I have read, timing belts do not benefit at all from lubrication. Most lubrication is harmful to the rubber or makes them swell up.

5 Likes

Let me test them or I’m raiding ur garage. What y’all want?

1 Like

Let this man work, he is doing good things :smiley:

7 Likes

:-1::-1::-1::-1::-1:

The belt enclosure is sweet and all. But that motor mount looks mad choice, yo! Patiently waiting to convert. Gonna need some additional axles for existing sets as well.

8 Likes

Yeah if anything, this project has created a really good press-fit mount and bearing pulley. I will be selling bearing pulleys shortly.

5 Likes

#1 Tip for not snapping belts dont ride a 20Kg esk8 with big fucking wheels.

1 Like