Boardnamics Sealed Belt Drive

Seeing as gears are evolving quickly, I chose to give belt drives some hope. Want to get some feedback on my sealed belt drive design, my attempt at the best belt drive possible.

My sealed belt drive starts with a press-fit adapter for my BN220 trucks. I can make adapters for other trucks later. A familiar looking mounting plate holds the motor. The inclusion of a case makes this belt drive special. Utilizing a 6809 RS bearing to provide a splash resistant seal, it provides less drag and greater drive rigidity than a rubber seal.

Overall, this drive combines the best scenarios for a belt drive, both in terms of performance and longevity. There is a high level of ridigity within the pulleys. No slop. The pulley alignment is excellent due from precision machined components vs cast. The belt is sealed from moisture and debris, a big cause of premature belt failure. There is no idler to wear out the belt quicker.

Wheel pulley is fixed 36T (no adjusting this). Motor pulleys can range from 14T to 20T, making this a more high speed drive designed for dual configurations. Motor pulley is steel with keyway.

Belt will be 15mm wide HTD5M Kevlar belt. Kevlar’s weakness is wet environments but has strength advantages over fiberglass.

Some facts about the drive:
Uses a 6809 bearing to seal
Only has kegel adapter for now
Utilizes a press-fit mount
All parts are machined aluminum
The case is 70mm in diameter at the most. Good clearance here!
The wheel can be removed without removing the gearbox.

Let me know what you think. Just getting my thoughts in 3D for now
Price is more expensive than usual belt drive, but cheaper than gears.

d7001a9ef012a22f004487c632ee5c81 !

49 Likes

Looks sweet just ship one out with my stuff :smirk::smirk:

7 Likes

Before I even got to the pictures I knew it was gonna be some sexy shit.

That’s some sexy shit. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

10 Likes

I like this idea never understood geardrive hype. For mee the big selling point of gear is that it’s sealed no stones or twigs that can mess upp the fun. I hope this becomes a new norm.

Maybe a bit bigger to fit bigger pulley for the small at wheels like sixshooter, bergmeister etc. The Esk8 diy scen gets better and better.
Keep up the good work :smile:

3 Likes

Good idea! Looks like I’m gonna have to get some trucks soon to be ready for when these drop… :yum:

1 Like

I like the idea, I’ve always looked at Trampa’s sealed belt drive and thought it was smart. Clearance is the issue though? One of the biggest selling points for me of belts is the low profile.

9 Likes

If the case makes the drive even more silent, then this could also compete against helical gear drives :sunglasses:

4 Likes

The gearbox diameter at the wheel is 70mm which gives it similar clearance to a 40T wheel pulley. Also worth noting that the 70mm length, unlike a direct drive, does not run along a motor cans length. Only 25mm or so.

3 Likes

jake and i have been talking about the need for this for years. Glad somebody’s doing it on a smaller form factor than Trampas.

15 Likes

Dave recently mentioned this in your interview as something that the market should produce as well. It will find it’s place I’m sure.

6 Likes

Will there be wheel pulley options ranging from 32T to 38T and possibly 40T then?

3 Likes

@longhairedboy he sounds pretty set on 36

Agree, and going for 42T and 44T would be awesome

This sounds so badass until I read the gear ratio is maximum 15/36 (or 14/36 if you want to use 14T)

:sob:

This is EXACTLY what I need when there is a bunch of snow. Snow breaks belts like they’re defective toothpicks. I’ve broken two belts in the space of 5 meters before. This would completely solve that

2 Likes

14/36 isn’t enough torque for you?

I can probably bump it up to 38T maximum but that is about it. Anything in the 32T-38T range is fair game. @b264 44T would make for an insanely big case. Without a case, that is already around 73mm belt included.

I will probably have a 38T maximum wheel pulley version for urethane only, then a small AT wheel version as @Chaki suggested that would have something more like 55T

5 Likes

No, and I don’t like using 14T HTD5M pulleys

14 isn’t enough bend radius for me.

3 Likes

What’s bend radius?

how tight the curve is. The belt has to bend around the motor pulley, and the tighter the bend, or lower the bend radius, the more strain is put on the belt. The difference in belt popping between a 14T and 16T pulley is not negligible.

8 Likes