Boardnamics Sealed Belt Drive

Yea that makes sense thanks for explaining, I’ve never gone below 16t because I’ve heard slippage is more likely

1 Like

Also wanna throw this in here,
The quality of your wheel pulley has just as much to do with skipping as the size of the motor pulley. Bolt on wheel pulleys are bad because under load, they shift around causing a change in center distance. This makes the belt skip. Also, they have a lot more runout than bearing pulleys which makes the center to center distance change as the wheel rotates.

You can tell just by hearing the belt drive. If it makes a stuttering hum, you need better wheel pulleys. It should be a nice smooth hum :smiley:

7 Likes

I only run servisas baby

1 Like

all of this is true.

1 Like

Who actually runs bolt ons these days?

3 Likes

36T wheel pulley on 85mm caguamas is already pretty low on ground clearance, doesn’t seem like it would work well for small-ish wheels (unless you’re willing to make a smaller case for 32T hehe)

DIYers with a NORMAL budget who are typically not the type to make a business of it or allow it to consume their entire lives. And beginners.

21 Likes

@Underoath888 cuz that’s all @torqueboards sells

13 Likes

This. This forum is largely made up of seasoned builders and riders. Almost everyone around here is running the latest in our technology. It’s hard to get a feel of what people really use by looking at the builds on here. A large majority of DIYers aren’t on this forum.

6 Likes

or they’re not vocal on this forum. with over 1300 users some of them have to be here, but they’re just reading and stalking builds and information, drooling over things they can’t justify purchasing, so they head over to hobby king and places like that who sell cheap kits.

15 Likes

Can confirm bolt on because of broke.

At least it’s one of the easiest parts to upgrade “down the road” when something breaks or it’s rebuild time.

4 Likes

Can someone give a a run down on alternatives to bolt on wheel pulleys?

Are we just talking about pulleys with their own bearings that are sandwiched between the wheel and motor mount with spacers instead?

So far, all I’ve used is bolt on pulleys… And it’s hard for me to understand things unless they are literally physically in front of me :joy:

1 Like

This is really cool, I’m definitely interested.

If I may offer a suggestion, it would be nice to have the case cover a little bit of the motor can to prevent water and debris to splash inside the motor. Kinda like what Boosted does with their motor cover.

Another example, exway drivetrain:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0163/8432/7755/files/exway-x1-pro-riot_2_grande.jpg?v=1559395752

7 Likes

Why and how? Is it because the cold/temperature difference makes them brittle? This year is (depending on if we get snow that lasts more than 10 minutes) my first Snow season with belts

It’s because the snow sticks to the wheel pulley and enlarges the diameter until the belt breaks, like a snowball rolling down a hill. Only certain consistencies of snow do that, and only sometimes. But when the situation is just perfect, it can break both belts and then put 2 new ones on and it breaks those in 10 seconds

12 Likes

oh right i forgot about that, makes sense.

well… i mean 16/36 is pretty ideal for Boas… which nobody has at the moment. TB 110s should be fast on that though.

6 Likes

I run 18/36 on boas and 18/40 on 110s lol

3 Likes

I run 15/40 on TB110 and I just got some 42T to try 15/42 which should have some shoe-ripping torque at 190Kv

4 Likes

Yeah you’re a torque animal that’s a hill climber fo sho

1 Like