Boardnamics Sealed Belt Drive

That was my next question but I think @Boardnamics has stated in the past he wasn’t interested in making geared drives.

Makes sense as belts are cheaper to replace and I’d imagine gears are more expensive in the long run (ie more moving parts, more gears to replace, etc).

I’d be interested in seeing a geared drive too though

1 Like

Belts fail 90% of the time because they’re exposed to the elements. Just one pebble is enough to get caught in the pulley, making the pulley bigger, and snapping it.

I want to replace gears as the high performance standard. Let the testing begin.

14 Likes

The snow will bow in fear of this belt drive

10 Likes

wow what a innovation ! will be great also for the matrix ll :smile:

4 Likes

I read before on the old forum that people use treadmill belt lubricants on belts to make them supposedly roll better.

That was 2017 and there was no sealed belt drives yet since lubricants will just attract dust and sediments.

I wonder if that can be applied on this now?

1 Like

From what I have read, timing belts do not benefit at all from lubrication. Most lubrication is harmful to the rubber or makes them swell up.

5 Likes

Let me test them or I’m raiding ur garage. What y’all want?

1 Like

Let this man work, he is doing good things :smiley:

7 Likes

:-1::-1::-1::-1::-1:

The belt enclosure is sweet and all. But that motor mount looks mad choice, yo! Patiently waiting to convert. Gonna need some additional axles for existing sets as well.

8 Likes

Yeah if anything, this project has created a really good press-fit mount and bearing pulley. I will be selling bearing pulleys shortly.

5 Likes

#1 Tip for not snapping belts dont ride a 20Kg esk8 with big fucking wheels.

1 Like

This is a awesome project I Love belts my first esk8 was belt powered and 90% of my boards are belt powered, fuck even even someone invents hoverboading I will work out a way to use belts on it.

1 Like

This looks pretty awesome!
Well done.

1 Like

This is how you shut up the naysayers. Good job Kevin!

3 Likes

Did I mention they will cost $200 dual? :exploding_head:

14 Likes

Then I guess the axle chopping is really the only con? Or am I missing something?

Do the motors need their axles chopped? What is the maximum axle length past the motor face?

1 Like

Some motors do. Up to 27mm axles work. SK3 for example, needs no chop. Maytech, 26mm, no chop.

7 Likes

@torqueboards 200mm long motor shafts will need a chop :wink:

2 Likes

I was like what’s that thing spinning in my motor pulley

running casually loose so iz coo

lol also I started on 84A bushings front and back to get used to it at low speed. So i’m expecting to have a much greater time at high speed when I switch up dik some harder stuff.

6 Likes