Boardnamics Precision 220mm Caliber II Hangers

More than enough. The shoulder bolts bottom out with 44mm of effective axle length. The range of axle lengths while maintaining a healthy amount of thread is 44mm-50mm.

6 Likes

Is there a reason why you went with the chubby T profile instead of just using a radius or chamfer to give you the needed clearance ?

If your getting them CNCā€™d on a VMC then it will have the HP and rigidity to quickly and easily run either of them, cycle time might increase a very small amount but would be pretty much insignificant. Would make them a little heavier but likely make them more aesthetically pleasing and a little stronger. Would probably even leave enough material if you decided to do a 10mm axle version in the future.

Ok, I feel I owe all the broken hearts out there an explanation, lol. Kevin texts me last night asking if I would test the hangar out, and of course, I said ā€œF@ck yes, Iā€™ll test itā€ before really thinking about it. Then he asks me if I have a backpack full of bricks or some shit to wear while riding itā€¦:joy:. Thinking about it now, I realize he needs a heavy guinea pig. He wantā€™s to make the first production run as soon as possible so he looked for the closest, fattest guy he could find to see if the wheels donā€™t come off while riding it, lol. So weā€™ll throw it on a board, and hammer it on the shittiest road we can find here until A) 10s4p the battery gives out or B) it breaks spectacularly. Iā€™ll continue to hammer it on my daily ride to work in the coming days and weeks, but I believe heā€™s going to start making them after the initial test (if situation B does not happen)

In the old days, cannon manufacturers were required to test their creations the first time themselves first so that only the best cannon manufacturers lived to make more cannonsā€¦ but since Kevin is still rattled from a recent crash, Iā€™ll volunteer my body and board to Boardnamics Inc in the name of science!

13 Likes

Hey

To make your simulation closer to reality, detach the upper portion of the bolt from the hanger (youā€™re loading down).
Itā€™s a contact interface, and now there are tension forces between the hanger and the bolts, where they shouldnā€™t be - the bending stresses are not symmetric

This should increase your actual stresses and make it closer to reality :slight_smile:

Excellent job on the hanger, I have one of your motor mounts and itā€™s solid!

Enjoy,
Dani

3 Likes

@MasterSpoon I thought the same thing but the quotes say otherwise. They make it by flipping it over in a fixture. My guess is if I made it exactly the same profile, they would have to have an operation with the hanger rotated 90 degrees, with the round top side facing the bit. Otherwise I could see how hard it would be with just 2 part flips.

1 Like

@iamasalmon testing them out today. Held up just fine

They also fit the torqueboards baseplate apparently, not like many would swap them but good to know.

6 Likes

Took 3 months of daily riding to brake my last hanger but it still happened.
Take that thing off curbs. Abuse it.

10 Likes

He will ride them to work for a while. They are getting their fair share of abuse

5 Likes

From what I can see, you conducted a static simulation. Imho, impulse loads are what causes these axles to bend, you might want to simulate that (id suggest ansys if youre in school, they have a student edt capable of it), or simply do real life tests with it with a caliber truck being the control (i.e. put the caliber hanger through the same tests you put your hanger through.). If the caliber gives way before yours does, you should be safe.

Best of luck!

4 Likes

This is my favorite thread I read today. Will there be any MTB versions? Wide?

@Kingdom421 Potentially, but I want to start with this first. After these are going good, adjustable baseplates is the next step.

I took some of your guysā€™ advice and changed the cross section of the hanger to be more similar to the standard caliber II. This adds a bit more beef to the hanger profile while still being easy to machine

16 Likes

@Boardnamics Is there a change youā€™d make these have a Paris style bushing seat? If youā€™re already making them, might as well have a lower speed carving varient

I need to focus on one design for now. Once this one has proven itself it will be very easy to make all types of hangers

5 Likes

I know that feeling man

3 Likes

I like this profile much better. Even better than the Caliber 2 profile. Hopefully these are very strong. Use the best alloy you can get. Caliber2 readily bend on me.

NY is probably safer than SF. Iā€™ve rode all over the 5 boroughs with exposed wiring, zip tied trucks. All sorts of shit. UPSTATE NYā€¦howeverā€¦thats where you will get some serious testing done. Upstate NY is the hardest terrain iā€™ve experienced. Shit tier concrete.

2 Likes

It was fun to visit @Boardnamics shop and get these on the road. Getting a closer look at these and having them side by side with the TB218 reminded me of why we like billet cut parts so much. In machinist school, weā€™d cut metal and put it under the microscope. Billet is dense and smooth, castings look more like a pressed cookie, an inferior but easily manufactured medium. The tolerance on the shoulder bolt/ shoulder bolt bore is very very nice. It is nearly airtight and the air would burp out as you tightened the bolt, zero wiggle. We threw it on and I hammered it as well I could near Kevinā€™s house, but honestly, Iā€™ve never seen smoother roads, lol. I did my best to smash it into whatever lumps I could find and found an area with some lumpy concrete slab that we all know and love and basically stomped around on that, And yes, sent it off some curbs. Then took the axle apart and check for deformity in the hanger body, especially in the bore (wiggle check again). After I was satisfied with the inspection, I went back out and had fun with it. Definitely works as it should, the truck is solid and beautiful. I canā€™t wait to see the updated design in action!

Iā€™m not going to say SouthEast San Diego has worse roads than SF or NY (:v:) but I travel over some crappy terrain on my way into work. Like, I could definitely endo my whole board and streetface in one if Iā€™m not careful. So Iā€™ll try that for a while and see how the hanger holds up.

6 Likes

Here is a picture of a Paris hanger in a TB baseplate, the same baseplate that we are using for the test. The TB and the BN200 both fit in CaliberII, TB and Randal II baseplates. I donā€™t have time to check if the BN200 fits in the Paris baseplate tonight but Iā€™m confident it will.

4 Likes

I wasnā€™t referring to the baseplates, lots of baseplates like caliber/Paris/Randal/TB/BN/kahua/hammock can be used here of you have the right pivot cup

I was wondering if there will be different versions of the hangarā€™s bushing seat, the current BN200 is based on Caliber II but personally Iā€™d like to see a Paris II seat on this hangar, I donā€™t go above 25MPH and I love the carve to them. Currently I use Paris II 195 but the mounts are a pain in the ass, Iā€™ve got TB218s but they feel chunky in comparison

Oh, I see, yes I see the bushing seat is offset a bit compared with the caliber style baseplateā€¦ I wonder if an angled baseplate would have a similar effect on ride? Edit: probably not or you wouldnā€™t have asked? Lol

1 Like