Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

Interesting. Keep in mind how much heat motors dump into the trucks and motor mounts in a normal setup. Often my motor mount is almost the same temperature as my motors are. That being said, my motors don’t get real hot either.

What filament is that? You might want to check it after your first few rides or so and see if it’s deformed

5 Likes

:arrow_up: this

Outrunner motors get hot from the inside (the stator) and that heat is dumped right into the motor mount plate. You’ve put an insulator there, so there isn’t any direct way for heat to escape, except by convection onto the rotor.

2 Likes

I have been considering a custom made motor mount with built-in water cooling as an alternative to getting factory water cooled bldc motors in a form factor usable for an esk8.

Could be pretty simple or more complicated.

or I could make a custom motor plate for the @Boardnamics m1 drive with a built in waterblock…

oh hmm actually given the shaft shortening situation

probably could make a modular add on waterblock, don’t see why that could not work.
like so:

6 Likes

I like where this discussion is going.
@ShutterShock I used Overture brand PETG filament for the spacers. It should be resistant to deformation well above the temp that the motors will achieve, assuming the “insulation” effect isn’t too intense. I’ll definitely be paying very close attention to the setup throughout the first few rides. I may eventually ditch the spacers or use the shorter ones that I made in combination with a slightly-less-trimmed-down motor shaft (shortened to like 30mm)

@b264 I’m hoping that the open design of the TB 6374 allows enough air circulation through the can to cool the motors effectively. I shouldn’t need to run more than 60A per motor with the dual setup, so I don’t expect them to get TOO hot. I suppose if you want to run 90A per motor like @Skyart you might have trouble lol.

2 Likes

I like and don’t like the idea. Keep in mind that the further away the pulley is from the motor the larger the leverage. And low modulus gears are more particularly about the gear meshing. And if the shaft flexes you will have a larger distance between each pulley. Resulting in accelerated wear and other baaaad things, like the shaft snapping right half in two😆

8 Likes

Good point I think I have an idea for that…

Thank you for the feedback

1 Like

So how about a standard skate bearing trapped between spacer and mount to stabilize the motor shaft? This would be a simple and effective way to address the increased angular force that results from the longer shaft so from this. . .

To this

1 Like

sure that is better, make sure to get the right amount of washers on both sides to not have the bearing flop about.
but then again why not chop off the shaft. it takes seconds. keep it simple stupid. better cooling and rigidity and you dont have to mess around. if you used helical gears I would understand because you need the axial contact bearings to keep up with the axial forces. (some say the forces are not large enough, others have had issues.) but this is spur gears cut the shaft and get some new motors if you need that extended shaft for another build. that’s just me. you do you. and I like fuckery.

7 Likes

Yeah, you’re right.

This is really just for science. It’s fun to speculate and debate about design and material strength and I get a lot of good ideas for other projects from stuff like this.

I thought to myself, if I DIDN’T cut the motor shafts, how could I make this work?

I’ll probably end up cutting the shafts anyway so I can test my next design concept. :man_shrugging:t6:

4 Likes

Has anyone tried these wheels with boardnamics kegel adapters? https://eovanboard.com/product/eovan-super-rs-105-airless-rubber-wheels/

2 Likes

might need to sand some off the pins or ream holes out worst case scenario

3 Likes

What @Fosterqc said. It’s kegel, and round holes are DIY-friendly. It wouldn’t be near as bad as an abec style adapter that’s not fitting well.

4 Likes

Crap. But they look cool. I second that first impression. Then a few days of riding them they felt heavy and I went back to 97mm supers, much better. For me.

4 Likes

I tried them. First impression is great!

2 Likes

Okay. One more because my microphone caught it well and the sign tells you speed. I backed off as I wasn’t wearing my full face, but these gears definitely have more in them.

14 Likes

Sounds amazing

5 Likes
17 Likes

That steel sound is amazing

6 Likes

:metal:t4:

14 Likes

Does anyone have bash guards for the belt motor mounts?

1 Like