Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

We need Brian to test the shit out of these drives, the long foretold steel on steel gear drives are finally here.

8 Likes

@Boardnamics have you been testing these for a while? Curious if grease is enough to avoid wear

2 Likes

Dink!

3 Likes

I have tested a prototype version for quite some miles. The final version has a few differences.

The hardening process is different. The first gears had a heat treatment where the gears are supposed to be ground afterwards to remove the distortion. These gears use a process that doesn’t cause distortion.

The case for the bearing has a lip to prevent it from ever backing out, so it does not rely on press-fit forces alone to stay in place.

I used white lithium grease and there was very little visible wear. Helps the gears are hardened significantly.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t oil be better for steel on steel? Or is the one ring not enough to keep it in?

1 Like

This maybe a stupid question, but are you able to inward mount these GD’s?

2 Likes

Oil is just not a good idea. Every mating surface would need a gasket material. That means even where the motor attaches, where the mounting adapter goes, etc. Super hard to seal watertight yet make it actually feasible for a DIY setting.

4 Likes

Based on the radial hole pattern yes but you need clearance

1 Like

Yes they are typically inward mounted. They can be reversed, but you need a hanger long enough or a motor short enough as to not hit the kingpin.

7 Likes

Keep me posted I want a set :call_me_hand:

I want a set :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hot damn! Count me in when available

2 Likes

Wow Kevin, congrats, these look awesome. The black looks great, and that price is insane!

5 Likes

Damn. It feels like Christmas already

1 Like

Congrats! I want to touch them.

6 Likes

Let’s start testing

Already like 10 people asking just today.

Make a sign up sheet.
There’s a bunch of fresh matrix 2 builds coming with all these flux boards.

5 Likes

tbf I don’t know how you could fuck that part up. It’s a clamp, where all the critical dimensions are already perfected.

I figured this amount of demand was perfect for doing a quick stateside run of them… Would be sweet if @Boardnamics worked on some kind of hybrid system with USA and China based manufacturing where needed.

1 Like

Personally I think all things should be tested, there’s more to gear drives than a clamp.

6 Likes

We are talking about the precision caliber clamp just with a different mount hole pattern,
not a gear drive.

Are you talking about the matrix gear drive he alluded to??

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

he’s getting himself a prototype for christmas, then we can have one maybe

1 Like