Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

haha yea ill have no issues with free roll at all with my particular setup wont be dd free roll but pretty dam close to it

1 Like

imo freeroll is for thane. Shouldn’t matter on AT since you will never kickpush it any real distance

1 Like

If we could program our throttle neutral to still give enough amps to roll endlessly at the previous speed I’d agree. But I don’t think we can, so I think it matters a lot to how a board feels to ride.

4 Likes

Thats true, but I think the harsh deceleration that comes with bad freeroll can be countered with a higher negative ramping time.

I’m pretty sure we can

2 Likes

Problem with this is that if you give too much current with the throttle, unless you deliberately brake, your board is going to go faster and faster until the ramping time allows it to decrease. I found it quite dangerous in practice. But I digress; this is a thread about gear drives

2 Likes

No you’re describing Positive Ramping Time. Negative Ramping Time doesn’t work that way.

And have never played with negative ramping. That is actually something I massively miss on thane. The free roll and equally so the jolt you get when you let of the throttle. Especially with a narrow stance.

What ballpark numbers do you like to run on negative ramping time with a AT setup.

FTFY LoL

1 Like

I run 1.0sec Negative Ramping Time on my eMTB, and it fully eliminates the “jolt” that happens when I release the throttle and it springs back to neutral.

3 Likes

Nah I disagree. I like how well my thane build free rolls. I like that I can kickpush it easily, saved my from getting stranded many times

1 Like

I’ve kickpushed broken boards home too, but I certainly wouldn’t say that’s a primary or even secondary or tertiary use for them :rofl:

I’ve also gotten the Lyft of shame back home a couple times. One time I had an entire cart worth of groceries I was carrying when I had a critical breakdown. Lyft driver was really confused.

2 Likes

If you want some more flyby videos I’ve got em…

4 Likes

Damn you were rolling!!

2 Likes

Video does it no justice! Feels a million times faster than it looks.

3 Likes

Okay so how do y’all get your wheels off. I was gonna try out some clouds but it seems my 97s are tighter than a virgin holding in a fart. Is it common practice to use a puller for this job or am I missing something?

1 Like

Oh shit i nearly pissed myself :rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

You can wedge a flathead screwdriver or a small prybar between the wheel and the drive if you’re slow and careful

3 Likes

Bruh :joy: :joy: :joy:

caught me off guard

1 Like

I like to put my feet on the wheel/gear drive and pull on the hanger.

Getting the wheel press fit out can be hard, with kegel you can just hammer the pins out of the core.

1 Like

Could I fit Dual M1 drives with 6354s on the 184mm hangers?

2 Likes