Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

You damn right!

1 Like

Hi guys. Been dealing with a creaking issue since day one. Noticed a degree of play between the BN baseplate and the adjustable hanger support. Despite how tight I make the bolt/nut it still creaks. I tried shimming with paper but it’s not working.

I did notice the bolt is threaded 80% of the way to the head and it is thinner than the non-threaded portion. I wonder if this is a cause?

Anyone else experiencing this with the BN hanger support/baseplates?

![MOV_20210514_1350338|video](upload://7pfnZPyJe3e1wgnNW6h47doh82s.mp4)

3 Likes

Holy crap why is your kingpin nut so tight

To me it just looks like it’s a longer kingpin; the bushings don’t look super schmushed. IDK though

2 Likes

Ya it’s not tight. Can move the truck easily with my hand. Pretty loose. Set to highest angle (55 degrees?)

1 Like

Do you have another kingpin is the kingpin removable?
but I would take it all apart and check Everything and then put it back together
If the kingpin is removable and you have an extra kingpin use that and see if that helps
But something sounds broken in the base area

“Gordo” is a fun name to say. Gordo.

I’ve had creaking issues on some Calibers no matter what I did, but that clicking sounds spooky.

7 Likes

Do new pivot cups help with that kind of creaking? I have the exact same issue with one of mine.

2 Likes

That might be the issue

But that’s a loud knock noise

1 Like

Might have something to do with the kingpin, may require a replacement. That is the old version of the adjustable baseplates. I have heard someone have this problem though and then they tightened the angle setting bolt like crazy and it went away :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

So I have these new suspension baseplates (Brotherhobby, not Avenue) that I was really hoping would work with my M1 setup.

While the kingpin angle matches that of the BN axles, the place where the pivot cup sits is a lot closer.

Would I be a crazy person if I milled part of my BN axles down so that they matched the “length” of these other ones? The good part is that these other axels don’t have a rounded end, so it should theoretically be easy to mill?

I’m just worried any time I try to take off any amount of material on something.

1 Like

You could do that, bit of a complex machining job though.

2 Likes

Mine looks the same I had to add washers to it as it’s very long and not enough thread

1 Like

My thinking was to cut out the round part (whatever that’s called) then flatten it up to the top line.

I’ll see what my friend with the mill thinks.

Weird they must be really long

Thow a couple extra washers on road side bushings and it’s all good, I’d rather be a lil long than too short

3 Likes

I did a total truck tear-down and rebuild and the creak/snap noise went away :thinking:

6 Likes

How are you gonna make the pivot pin on the top then?

Clamp like this and go top down.

3 Likes