Boardnamics M1 Gear Drive + Other News

These thinga are fun. I have a set available for sale if anyone is interested.

Price and pics. Dm me

1 Like

What?! This is a vendor post…

2 Likes

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on 4.6 or 5.2 as a gear ratio and why.

The deck coming from 18/78 and is 4WD so my take on that is that I can probably gear as 4.6 and still have enough torque to satify… is that completely wrong or should work ok?

1 Like

4wd with 4.5 gearing is soooo much torgue…and I’m running 300kv lol so anything under that would be just nutty

2 Likes

Bringing this chat over to BN thread, and tagging @rusins . I don’t think it’s a support bearing. If I am right, it’s just a wider axle portion on the helical gear and it rests against the 10mm shoulder portion of the axle on Flipsky motors. I could be wrong tho. @boardnamics

1 Like

Don’t worry about torque on 4wd. Gear for 15mph more than you ever want to ride, and enjoy mind bending torque regardless. Play around with the ultimate esk8 calculator if you want to see the insanity 4wd allows. :slight_smile:

There is now a plate that houses a 608 bearing.
The gears now have double the bonding surface area and one side rests against this bearing, so we can say 1 direction of the thrust is completely taken care of by the bearing.

Should also help with bearing life in motors since a large portion of the gear forces are radial, and the 608 bearing is significantly larger than the 6900 bearing the FS motors have in the front.

7 Likes

Oh snap, this is awesome. Is this BN-AT v2 then?

Do you reckon the more important force is acceleration or braking?

When I ran belts, I would frequently get belt skip on braking but not acceleration, but perhaps it’s different for other riders?

2 Likes

I’ve heard this firsthand a few times recently from @Egtscs slamming his brakes behind me :joy:

Since the gears arent mirrored, it really doesn’t matter.
The direction with the most motor amps should have the largest forces, whether that is braking or acceleration.

One could argue full braking is most common than full launch? It would be a case by case basis. I am not too sure on it. I also am unsure whether the loctite fails from fatigue first or from a sudden large impact.

3 Likes

Apex recommend the bearing be in contact during acceleration, since usually people accelerate harder than they break. Since most setups are rear-wheel-drive, traction prevents you from breaking super hard anyway. But if the gears aren’t mirrored, then this conversation is a bit pointless : /

P.S. I would love to see a dual thrust bearing design one day, where the pinion goes between the bearings :laughing:

Hear me out, just use herringbones at that point. Or just straights

1 Like

They aren’t even loud if you use grease and tight backlash. People need to get on this straight cut game. The freeroll is god tier.

5 Likes

Hear me out, drive a car instead.

I’ll let myself out.

2 Likes

Boooooooo get out

2 Likes

Constantly, im either skipping or snapping

1 Like

I like loud drives and i am unapologetic about it. Straight cut drive go REEEEEE

5 Likes

Time to move to BN gear drives

tinnitus go REEEEEE