BMS Thread - Smart BMS / Which do you use?

ah def not, sorry like I said not familiar at all LOL

1 Like

The BMS voltage/series should match your battery’s series spec, your battery’s voltage spec should match/not exceed that of the VESC. 14s checks out for 75v as 12s is for 60v.

no no, i don’t mean in a rude way, just curious. god knows what crazy setup people are building these days

1 Like

cool imma send my builder the 14s 30a version… not even that much more expensive than a normal bms

1 Like

wait, if you have a builder, does he not know what to do for you?

1 Like

ye but she’s never done a smart BMS, I just brought it up. she’s on vaca rn so I figured I could pick one out for her

1 Like

smart bms is only smart on the software side, hardware wiring should be all the same, the dumb one or the smart one

1 Like

never done a smart BMS in that she doesn’t know which one to get etc

2 Likes

ohh then LLT is the shit these days

2 Likes

that’s what I just told her :slightly_smiling_face: thanks for the help guys!

2 Likes

Hey guys! Quick question. Trying to get my BMS set up, and I can’t figure out what this connector is for. Any advice is appreciated. What does it connect to? Why?!

2 Likes

Could be the optional eswitch

1 Like

this is the on/off switch connector, its optional, usually people don’t use it

3 Likes

I have an on/off connector for my ANT BMS. You either use the connector and hold a 3.6V cell to the ends for 5sec to start the BMS or plug in the battery charger.

Does anyone know of there is a direct plug in replacement for the Daly BMS so I can get smart Bluetooth functionality please?

I think the Daly Smart BMS use the same header for balance wires, you’d just need to resolder the P- wire

Have a Daly 1A bluetooth-connected smart equalizer on it’s way… Far more a fan of equalizers than resistive-discharge BMS’s due to putting the excess energy to use rather than just generating heat. Equalizers transfer from the top cells to the bottom cells either through charge/discharge of capacitors or common-core transformers.

those are not meant to be removed once installed, and it will try to constantly balance the pgroups once the delta value has exceeded the set parameters. not sure if u want to stress the cell more by trying to balance it mid-ride

I don’t see why that would be a problem; it should help supplement up to an amp of discharge on the lowest cells. The highest cells have the lowest resistance so you won’t really be adding extra load if I understand correctly. At one point I considered a 10A equalizer for my (3+ year old abused) lipo packs, but I’m starting to think I should retire those and upgrade rather than build complex supplementary systems for old chemistry.

The Daly model also has programmable thresholds for all the balance parameters and live monitoring of each cell and balance status.