BMS Thread - Smart BMS / Which do you use?

Will do, i have an appointment with a Esk8-electrician-battery-builder soon who was talking about a way to measure current while charging :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Can someone tell me what actual benefits I get form a smart BMS compered to a normal on? Considering I will be running the thing charge only! I now have this Daly

What would i gain safety wise other than seeing at what voltage my P groups are?
My battery pack is a 10s3P from Molicel P26A

I wanna revive this to ask: what’s the go-to smart BMS these days

If you are willing to pay the premium, go for a smart BMS w/ Bluetooth connectivity. I do not trust any of the passive/non-IC BMS. Being able to monitor every parallel on-demand gives me to confidence to keep using my pack. I am currently using an LLT BMS 12s 60A which does all that and I am quite happy about it. My only complaint is the thick form factor because of the heatsinks.

2 Likes

LLT bms

4 Likes

Speaking of LLT, does it come with a hw fuel gauge or is the ah usage a digital estimate?

is this what I would want for a 14s setup? sorry, very new to all this – just looking into a smart BMS for my builder to use instead of the basic one

1 Like

u don’t need the 120a version unless u don’t plan on running bypass discharge, usually people just go with this one:

1 Like

If you know what your doing w/ the rest of the electronics, any of their Bluetooth BMS lineup with a sufficient amp ceiling will do just fine electronically.

1 Like

don’t think u can get that info unless u wire it as bms discharge

2 Likes

for a 14s8p setup, I assume 60a is sufficient?

I personally don’t bypass the BMS because I like the discharge protection.

1 Like

Here wait, you’re not using a 60v VESC on that r u? If you’re going to use charge only, the minimum discharge current will be fine(cause you won’t be discharging at all).

1 Like

using a ubox v1, honestly can’t remember the voltage… but yeah planning to bypass discharge anyhow

1 Like

Ok, the 14s 30a version should serve you fine.

1 Like

14s you mean yeah? and only 30a?

Oops, yes 14s. Unless you’re going to charge above 30a, yes.

1 Like

Do I need a 75v BMS for use with the ubox v1? it’s 75v…

that’s the charging current, surely u r not fast charging with more than 30a?

1 Like

no

1 Like