BMS Thread - Smart BMS / Which do you use?

Hi all,

Been doing alot of work on my boards during COVID-19

One thing i notice is the wide verriety of BMS systems out there.

Including some in-community-house developments such as DIEBMS

I stumbled accross this “Smart BMS” - The idea of a true smart BMS seems apealing over say a D140,

but it makes me wonder what else is out there, and what works for people.

Im currently looking for a 10S BMS to replace the Raptor 2.0-2.1 BMS as they love to burn out.
currently on my last one :smiley: anyone selling a DieBieMS?

Also any tips, protective coating etc are greatly appreciaed. (if anyone knows the mail failure in the Raptor BMS besides cheap, would be interested)

Theres a great thread here

3 Likes

I would be interested an a cheaper option for a 12s smart bms (maybe like under £40)

LLT has some for around 40ish € amd they are solid

2 Likes

That thread is a bit outdated. I should bring it up to date when I have a minute.

Currently, we have two smart BMS that originate from the community – DieBieMS and FlexiBMS. Both highly recommended. DieBieMS is much bigger and slightly more expensive but you get a discharge protection. FlexiBMS is charge only and it’s really tiny. Currently only available for testers but official release is hopefully not too far away. The advantages of these smart BMSes is that they integrate nicely with other community-originated tools, namely the Metr Pro and my DAVEGA X.

Other than that, many (me included) have a good experience with the LLT Power Smart BMS. That one doesn’t integrate with Metr or DAVEGA but comes with a bluetooth module and you can access the smart features via your mobile phone.

2 Likes

Also found this one, Not cheap though wondering if it lives up to ir’s price.

The way i see it, If BMS fails, Cells can be unstable, FOCBOX can suffer damage, You personally can also get injured. So spending… 100 on a 1000+ USD board to me is justified.

1 Like

I’ve been looking for DieBieMS for… Ages. really want 2-3, Got my Metr Pro Unity, and one DAVEGA X (looking into TTL lighting too)

If you already have Metr and DAVEGA X, then DieBieMS or FlexiBMS should be a no brainer. If you have enough space in your enclosure for DieBieMS, go for it. You can’t go wrong with it. If the space is tight, wait a bit for the FlexiBMS. I’ve been using the prototype for a couple of months now and it’s been working perfectly.

3 Likes

Got a Raptor 2.1 as well with blown BMS. I was able to get a replacement before the Enertion Ship sunk… I have half of the cells below 3 V so I ordered 40 new 30q. Now I don’t know which BMS to get. I would rather get something better than spend $170 for another 40 cells.

2 Likes

Get this one, or one like it. It’s smort.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000006610664.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4bec676cVWOsSY&algo_pvid=60046cde-be7a-4fc9-8b94-a5d790c365d5&algo_expid=60046cde-be7a-4fc9-8b94-a5d790c365d5-0&btsid=0ab6f82215901172451034059e5304&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

It’s not small though, make sure you have room.

If you don’t have room, get this one or one like it. It’s not smort, but it’s small.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32875971231.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.40363464HeQQeO&algo_pvid=def7efe6-ae82-4b1d-aa4d-d4a4486d9bf6&algo_expid=def7efe6-ae82-4b1d-aa4d-d4a4486d9bf6-0&btsid=0ab6d69515901173414065809e9c35&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

2 Likes

Ok, thx. No clue if I get the big smart one in the Raptor 2.1. It would be nice to see the condition of the cells for sure.

Finding a DieBieMS in EU is tricky, been looking for over 5months, Now on the Pre-order for Batch 4 - but still could be 2months out.

Recently aquired this LTT Smart BMS https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/product/13s-48v-li-ion-battery-pcb-board-54-6v-lithium-bms-with-60a-discharge-current-for-electric-motorcycle-and-e-scooter-protection-2-2-3-2-2-2-2-2/

Now just trying to figure out how i Deassmeble one of the old Enertion BMS’s So i can transfer the Charge port connection and still use the fuse from it.

Want to run it Charge/and Discharge . Later the DieBieMS will be the perfect replacement - And the Usplit, see how i’ll combine all that with the TrampaWAND

So the DieBieMS is the holy Grail I assume. Everywhere I look I cannot really buy it or the website’s look fishy as hell. The BMS you purchased showing in your last link would that fit inside the enclosure off a Raptor 2.1?

it fits, the LTT smart BMS - It’s my replacement until the DieBieMS.

Just need to figure out how i want to wire it up for Charge and Discharge.

DieBieMS - Also fits (but its a Very tight fit) and yes finding them is very hard, the 4th round of group buys is currently underway suggest you join that.

1 Like

If anyone was interested, I converted my 10s LLT Smart Bms to 12s as 10s-15s are all the same PCB with different firmware. I’m cheap and didn’t buy the serial converter so I used one from a NodeMCU and it worked perfectly. The only physical thing you have to do is desolder the bridged pads by the balance port and figure out which ones correspond to the 2 new cells.

3 Likes

@Esk so you ordered the 10S 60A from that website you posted above?

Can you post a like to the DieBieMS order page pretty please?

I do indeed have the 60A, actually planning to install one today as a discharge setup.

The DiemieMS is very hard to fit into the Raptor, Its 140 wide/ just like the enclosure (ive made it work before but it’s a tough one)

Search on forums for DieBieMS round 4 or something.

It’s also the most Expensive BMS around ive ever seen, But im happy to support the community :wink:

1 Like

Ok ordered it. Thanks for the tip. I never measured the max Amp draw of the board under load. Would be awesome if you can document your process of install and configuration via a separate thread. To little is available on the web about how to get the board back up and running.

@Esk Smart BMS arrived. Def. Fits in the area. Just wonder how to mount it together with the display.

2 Likes