Blue Shark, custom Subsonic Century 40, eBoosted enclosure, Surf Rodz TKP, @damon 10s5p battery, Torqueboards 190kv 6355 motors and 16t steel motor pulleys, Psychotiller Six Shooters and 60t pulleys, @akhlut motor mounts, Torque ESCs, Hoyt St. bamboo puck

Catch me if you ca… Wait I only have a Boosted to ride for now so let’s have a 20mph race…

1 Like

Thats not a race, thats me catching you in 30 seconds :slight_smile:

5 Likes

He will show up in the dead of night with the entire family, they stay a week typically.

But hey XT90!

jk/ Mike is one of those thinking of other people type people

2 Likes

2 in the winter :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Okay. I have been working my ass off at work and barely had time to ride let alone build. I am back at my build and facing a dilemma. The vertical edge of the enclosure isn’t nearly tall enough for a cable gland or a grommet. If I slide the penetration up on to the sloped flat portion the lowest thing on the bottom of my skateboard (other than wheels) would be the wire harness going to my motors. No bueno. How to solve?

2 Likes

I did this

4 Likes

That is what I am concerned with. The wire bundle coming through those grommets will be below the rest of the enclosure. I guess maybe try to do a heat shrink with a bend in it.

Maybe a 90° cable gland?
Old pic as example

And cut off what you dont need

3 Likes

Didn’t know about 90 degree glands.

I am bowing deeply from the waist.

4 Likes

With that enclosure I would do away with the glands and go under the lip closest to the motor wire bundles at the rear of the deck. Cut a half circle on each side, maybe 1 inch off center, rout through that with foam between the wire bundles and the enclosure.

3 Likes

It won’t be as pretty as possible but that is probably best. I live in LA. We don’t go outside in the rain, let alone on a skateboard.

1 Like

I very seldom ride in the rain, only when I’m caught out, so I feel ya :grin:

1 Like

Now I have to grow the balls to drill off center holes through my enclosure. I’ve been searching for a way around that. In the good old days I could have asked one of the machinists at work to do it for me but that would probably trigger a Congressional investigation these days.

1 Like

No shit. I used to be able to get stuff lathed or milled, or even do it myself. Those days are now gone.

2 Likes

I can use our prototyping lab off hours but I have a drill press at home. The problem with an enclosure is how to hold it. Maybe I can try a foam tool and wood clamps

1 Like

The ghetto way is to use a small bit to make a hole off the bottom plane a couple of millimeters then use a progressively larger bit until you run out of surface on the outside. Then use a coping blade or a Dremel to straighten out the sides.

1 Like

Maybe you can cut out a rectangular recess and 3D print a matching face plate? Follow the contours and all. And build in the cable glands or whatever.

You can beat marking it first, then center punching the drill hole, if cutting an enclosure a stepped bit is mighty fine.

1 Like

For the first time in, umm, forever, progress over the past weekend. Everything has been mounted securely to the deck, with a rubber pad double stick taped to the deck under the VESCs. Need to add motor wire splices, conformal coat, another layer of rubber over the VESCs and cut foam. IT is a tight squeeze but the enclosure fits over everything. Getting close. Yes, I taped the hole locations but the drill still punched through at the enclosure holes. They will be hidden.

And the money shot:

13 Likes

More progress this weekend. Wiring finished and it is a skateboard. Controls appear to be working nominally. I’m glad to be past the soldering. My hands aren’t as steady as they used to be. Mostly enclosure work to go. Unfortunately the connector for my remote receiver sits too high and the wires rub on the enclosure. I am going to have to remove the pins from the connector body and connect them individually with heat shrink tubing. Maybe I could find a right angle connector body but that sounds like a long shot.

1 Like