BLACKLIGHT - Elofty Direct Drive / Focbox Unity / 97mm Abec Clones / 10s Swappable Lipo / DIY 3D Printed 2-part Enclosure / Skateshred Deck w/ glass & 3d printed frit

I don’t think I can solve it :confused: regular one is off center too. I genuinely think the holes are just drilled slightly off center

Make the holes on the adapter slightly bigger. Bolt it on but kinda loose. Put wheels on, spin it. Remove wheels and fully tighten.

2 Likes

I can try that yeah

Welp. I sheared another adapter today on the way to work. I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet. It happened during a hard brake, I felt it give and suddenly drop to half the braking power and I knew something wasn’t right. I really wish they had some metal abec adapters available.

I’m thinking about trying to print the next adapters in a different orientation so that the layers are running the other direction, but I’m afraid they will just split at the screw holes. Maybe if I print them diagonally? Maybe I just need some stronger filament. Hmm

What type of filiment are you using?

PLA+ currently. I’ve used it for all my pulleys and never had any issues. I think it has to do with the design of these adapters. They aren’t as strong in the area where the most torque is applied

Why not give petg a shot? I use it to make all my pulleys and have great success. I would like to try nylon soon but that stuff is expensive.

1 Like

Would ABS hold up better or worse than PLA+ ?

Will vapor bathing give it some added layer adhesion?!

PLA starts to soften at temps over about 60°C, this may contribute to your problem. I don’t know if PLA+ is any better though.

I suggest you could try some matte fiber PLA - it’s stronger, prints nicely, and you can anneal it to improve the strength and heat resistance. Easily my favourite filament to use for almost anything, but it’s a bit pricey. https://www.proto-pasta.com/collections/matte-fiber-htpla

Also - why not reinforce that area with some countersunk screws?

Annealing will distort the shape though.

1 Like

Vapor bathing didn’t tho :grin:

1 Like

No it doesn’t.

I print my ABEC adapters from ABS and have some unique post processing techniques, and first I had a layer line adhesion failure similar to yours, but after an acetone vapor bath for 30 minutes outside, layer adhesion is much better and I’ve had no failures.

Use PETG. Even better alloy 910.

2 Likes

does too!

neener…neener…

really… I find this difficult to comprehend… does anyone have a carbon-fibre infused PETG?

Carbon fiber infused won’t necessarily make it stronger. Perhaps in stiffness, but the chopped carbon doesn’t bond to plastic like plastic to plastic does. It can theoretically reduce layer adhesion to have a deposit material

What’s your max print temp?

1 Like

300c

I understand what you are saying but in my experience fibre-infused filaments add structure and rigidity…

The problem here is layer adhesion, not stiffness. Carbon fiber will actually reduce the layer adhesion.

Ownboard has cnc elofty abec adaptors for $40 they are made for the ver 2 elofty but should fit yours if you sand the axel.

1 Like

What? Vapor bath doesn’t distort the part? It takes alittle layer off the top and it loses detail.