BLACKLIGHT - Elofty Direct Drive / Focbox Unity / 97mm Abec Clones / 10s Swappable Lipo / DIY 3D Printed 2-part Enclosure / Skateshred Deck w/ glass & 3d printed frit

Here’s the build thread for my latest build. I had a few goals for this board that i think worked out okay.

• Lightweight (I already have heavy boards)
  • swappable batteries (technically unlimited range)
  • 3d Print many parts (forcing me to learn to design better)
  • Keep the cost down (we all hope to do this i think)

This build was based around my first set of direct drives. I jumped in to the Elofty hype and grabbed a set. None of us really knew what we were actually getting. These are the drives I received. Kenna had said they are 72kv version, but i’m not certain yet TBH. I still need to check top speed on 10s.

I opted for the version without a baseplate and just purchased my own for a TKP setup.

My unity also finally arrived so it got tied up in this build. Since this board was meant to be relatively stealthy, I figured this was a good option.

The deck i chose was a skateshred deck. Ive had great luck with their decks. They seem to be good quality at a dirt cheap price. This deck seems to be very similar to like an Exway deck or something. I wanted something medium sized and this is what i ended up with. It was a struggle to figure out enclosure, battery, whatnot because the deck width is pretty narrow.

Next up, BATTERY! I wanted to do swappable, so i knew i was going to need to design my own system. I settled on a two part enclosure that I designed and printed. Just remove two m4 screws and slide off the battery cover. swap takes only a minute or so.

Even the stealth 18 from @psychotiller was a bit too wide for this narrow deck

I also experimented with a 3D printed enclosure i found on Thingiverse but it was just too large for what i needed and it was more efficient to just design my own and not be lazy.

Once I had all the parts ready, all thats left was making this thing look good :smiley:
I decided a fluorescent color theme was in order based on the wheels i chose.

Electronics Mockup

And the finished board… No holes in the enclosure except for motor wire since i’m using unity push to start and swappable batteries. I even 3d printed some accent frit for the board :smiley: aha

50 Likes

Looks super clean! I also have bought a few decks from skateshred and like the quality especially for the price!

2 Likes

Yup! For esk8 it’s cool because the plain decks encourage some customization. Good stuff.

2 Likes

Awesome minimalist build. This why I like direct drives. No mess with gears belt or grease for gear drives .

Total cost?

What did you do for the seal?

You mean the seal between the 2 part enclosure?

Really nice, with the frit treatment being especially tasty.

3 Likes

Seriously sick build, but where’s the uv light pic, please jet some purp LEDs

2 Likes

Oooo I will get a picture in blacklight soon haha

1 Like

Sick build!

What was the thingiverse link for the enclosure you experimented with?

Will you also post the enclosure you created?

1 Like

This was the enclosure I was experimenting with from thingiverse. It was okay but the seal was not perfect and it didn’t suit my needs for a swappable battery really.

Yes I can post my STL when I’m home. I’ll do that :blush:

2 Likes

Ah okay, that was the enclosure I was looking to print but I may skip on if it doesn’t have a good seal. Just curious but did you enable fuzzy print for that finish?

Does your STL have a small cutout for charger port and battery “fuel gauge”?

1 Like

I primed, painted and epoxied my 3d printed enclosure with a textured paint to get this finish.

My enclosure does not have a battery meter or charge port spot. My batteries are swappable so no need for a charge port.

Since I’m using the unity, I can check battery level on my phone so no need for a battery meter either

2 Likes

:clap: Simply beautiful !! Enjoy now !

Really clean build bro, love the enclosure :ok_hand:

1 Like

Extremely well done, I love 3d printer cleverness and you nailed it mate!

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words

1 Like

Appreciated. I’m happy that I’m finally getting to the point where I can utilize my printer to really create things that I think up from scratch. It’s awesome!

4 Likes

any bms?
or do you need to take out the batteries every time?
10s 3ah?
whats the range you’re getting with this small pack?

1 Like

any issues with heat buildup in the motor yet?

my metasurfs start strong start of the ride, then start losing efficiency as they get hot.

i read the TB DD have this same issue.

i suspect this is just an inherent problem with DD in general?

@mishrasubhransu

1 Like

The plan is to have a bunch of these batteries so I can just bring with me however much range I need.

Swapping them out takes less than 2 minutes. I made it super simple and it has not inconvenienced me yet.

I have not tested the range but it should be like 6-7 miles.