BKB Tire Defect Tearing Tubes

I have had probably half a dozen of these tires fail on me now (all V2 AFAIK) and I’m no stranger to punctures but the fact that I can’t go more than a week without getting a flat has gotten me a little skeptical that it isn’t just a normal road debris puncture.

I took apart my last 3 tires/tubes that I have gotten flats on and tried to see if there was anything abnormal and there is something going on. There are these little numbered stickers with what looks like Kapton tape over the sticker so I took the tape off and then took the sticker off and there was a deep scoring mark on the tube, this was directly in line with where my puncture was. I took apart the other two wheels and sure enough, Kapton tape over a sticker covering a defect EXACTLY where my tire developed a puncture. Here are some photos I took of two of them I threw away all my other punctured tubes so I can’t check those but I feel like 3 is enough to conclude when it’s this obvious.

Here is a tire before I took it off so you can reference the valve stem placement in relation to the markings on the tube to line up the tears. I think this one had the same Kapton-looking tape on it, a piece fell out when I disassembled the wheel. I marked the spot on the tire with Sharpie but it’s kinda hard to see.

I’m curious to hear if anyone else has had this problem, it seems to occur most often on rides where I’m accelerating super hard but I can’t find a definitive trend.

4 Likes

I think @sk8tedad is having issues too

2 Likes

Yeah im having issues too,some are clearly pinch flats, but some are WTF!!?? its becoming a problem. id say 7 flats in 9 rides lately ,not cool

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I’m glad I’m not the only one. Maybe its speed related, I know he rides pretty fast as well.

2 Likes

Yep, I went on a ride today and in about 5 miles I had two flat tires.

3 Likes

it seems like there is a high speed= flat issue,i havent caught on to the Kapton tape issue,as im changing tires on the side of the road,ill go have a look at the carnage .

2 Likes

Yeah, I never noticed it until tonight when I took a close look at them, I was thinking they just use it to try and cover the rough spot to prevent this from happening.

1 Like

Bkb after releasing two versions of a dangerous product, proving that they still don’t test shit.

1 Like

The tube isn’t their product. It’s just a generic 6x2 / 150x50 tube they resell.

Doesn’t make the failures right, but the above should be clarified.

I haven’t had any issues with mine (3x sets so far).

2 Likes

Well I think the problem is the tires, not the tube, I think I’ve used a variety of different tubes but they cant do anything to stop the tire from tearing them.

5 Likes

yes me too,i threw their new tubes away out of an abundance of caution or stupidity ,im having issues,i may sand the inside of my tires to see if it helps. I dont want to go back to Torque board tires because even above 40 mph the BKB tires will not cause a crash when it blows out and i can nurse it several miles home .

if anyone knows of a heavy duty tube for 150mm please let me know

@Skyart What tubes are you using on your Magnetic line of boards? (The ones that have the BKB 150s)

1 Like

real question is when do you get the tires you have in 175mm for 150 mm? @skyart

He is using the BKB tubes, or at least the awsome Finality drive he just installed came with BKB tubes and tires

im starting a petition to force him to go ride with someone ! All work and no play

1 Like

I’ve run into this issue but with V1 tires. I kind of gave up on them. But it looks like maybe you need to take some fine sand paper to the inside of these tires.

1 Like

Yeah, I only notice that my tires have gone flat when I look at them :laughing:. Here’s me doing 45mph up a hill without realizing that I had a flat, look at how much it was sliding and the tire was deforming under turning.

Also, this board is crazy, I was only at like 65% throttle because I knew something was wrong but I couldn’t figure out what it was and it still flew up that hill, spinning all 4 at 16mph. Thanks for letting me borrow it, Artem, if you want it back for a group ride let me know :grin:

4 Likes

love that you manage this with out bindings,feels like id come of with out them at launch

3 Likes

Barely, :rofl:, I have bindings on my board but this is just a loaner, its definitely way harder to get any good acceleration in. My front foot will hover above the deck if I go any faster than this which Im not a fan of. You can see how sketched out I got at the end since I hate the no-binding feeling.

2 Likes

i know some day they will fuck me but im sold on them. Stopping and cornering is far superior,i do like to move my feet,but i like the bindings better

1 Like

Yeah the cornering difference is crazy, I can get through a heel side corner probably 50% faster with bindings than without, I am scared of that too but I only use a front binding for that reason and I keep it loose if I’m not doing something where I need it pressing my foot into the deck.

2 Likes