BKB Tire Defect Tearing Tubes

i cant sleep,going out,hope i dont limp back im running out of tubes

2 Likes

You two are probably the craziest esk8ters I know holy smokes please don’t hurt yallselves

4 Likes

Tears at stem are generally synomous with tires slipping. Tire will slip on the rim and pull the tube than tear at that stem.

I had this exact same issue with abrasions marks on the tubes. Not a tear on or by the stem with pair of xcell rs tires. Using 150x50 tubes. Gave up after about 10 tubes… would be really interested if someone finds a solution. Ive tried talcum powder to help reduce friction. Helped a bit but i think it comes down to just shit thin tubes

1 Like

Maybe this is Jared’s way of trying to sell tubeless rims in the future :joy:

2 Likes

I think it’s the tires, better tubes don’t last either

1 Like

I’m going to try doing talcum powder and sanding it like @zero_ads said, that sounds like it could work, the inside of them does have a super smooth finish that I don’t think I can replicate but I’m going to try. I have 8 of these tires so I’m going to pick the 4 best ones that have the least of these stickers/defects and see how that works.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend sanding. It’s extremely likely that your sandpaper will deposit some grit into the rubber of the tire that wont easily wash out. Once that happens, your tire is now ruined because that grit will shed tubes even faster.

Instead, I would recommend using a metal burr on a dremel or something. Anything that doesn’t have grit that it can deposit into your tire.

3 Likes

Yeah I was going to say if you sand, will need to wash afterwards.

I used talcum powder and it still didn’t help. There’s also tire slime and sealant if you haven’t tried that yet.

1 Like

Crazy, I put a set of V1s with original tubes on my friend’s board that now have 500+ miles on them without a flat. They’re on BKB hubs also, wonder if that makes any difference…

3 Likes

I used to ride with slime and it worked perfectly but it doesn’t handle high speeds well and gets super un balanced above 35mph.

2 Likes

How fast does he ride?

Geared for a top of 32mph, hits that all the time on rides, so let’s say 27-32 during most of the riding. We geared down for more torque. Originally was geared for a top of 42mph and was riding above 35mph quite a bit during rides for Id say like 200 miles before we regeared.

1 Like

Here is another possible idea. Talcum or baby powder. Cyclist use this all the time. I rub it on the tube before install. You can put some directly into the tire and rub it in.

That’s good to know I won’t even bother at this point. For me it was all the hard carving I think that really got to it.

Id do a bike tube patch on that spot

Who not just use puncture proof liners on the inside of the tire like a mountain bike?

Could do a tire liner but that’s a lot of doing when it’s only one small spot that’s the known problem.

If the valve is ripping from the tire moving on the rim maybe more air pressure would hold it, or if u like the low pressure or at max already a bead of the same bike tire patch glue between rim n tire

Talc is just to make it easier to instal a tire and won’t help either possible puncture I don’t think unless the tube isn’t set in the tires evenly.

Those are for punctures coming from outside the tire not inside. So generally they only cover treads. Not side walls. This specifically is an issue with tubes being punctured or rubbed inside by a tire. Also I suspect youd be hard pressed to find one that fits correctly.

2 Likes

Anybody found the problem ? I just signed up to chat it up and find a solution. I mounted these tires last night on my tynee explorer rims. I use my original hota tubes because they looked way better. And not even 5 minutes into a ride around the block I had two flats. Ive inspected and one is lined up with where the rim splits when you dissasemble. I suspect the tube pushed down in the little crevasse and spun maybe a little with torque ? The other is angle toward the middle inner wall. Im down to my last 4 hotas them will have to resort to the bkb supplied tubes. I pumped to 45 psi and i weight 239

Also forgot to mention , i rode these tube in my stock hotas at 40 psi and never had an issue. Do you think maybe the flat profile compresses the tube to much ?

2 Likes