Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Yes. No I haven’t tried on stormcore. I’ve seen so many blow up, even the latest versions. I would never use one myself.

2 Likes

Stormcore is not capable of over 100amps motor per side. You will get ABS faults and cutouts. I run stormcore at 60/100 battery/motor and have not had any issues. If you want more motor amps you need a different controller

2 Likes

I bet Stormcore super single could easily do 175A motor current. But just on one motor.

1 Like

Absolutely could

How does one go about doing that? It’s not in the base vesc tool right?

I’m thinking a dual 60d+ super single setup might be in my future since I think it makes more sense for me to do that that buy a makers dv6 or whatever else

super single means u connect two set of phase wires to a single motor, if u want dual drive with super single, u would need 2x (single mcu dual esc) to make it work that way.

1 Like

@frame yeah, im aware of that, i think my wording here is a bit ambiguous, so sry about that. I currently have one 60d+ and am considering getting a second one so i can run both as super singles and have a more powerful 2wd instead of an even heavier 4wd board

@Tony_Stark you have any idea how much current your 205kvs can handle? you think they could handle 150a bursts?

1 Like

Yes should be ok @ 12S

Is this the correct polarity for a 5.5*2.5mm jack? Power in the middle and ground on the circumference?

That is the most commonly used arrangement, yes.

I still highly, HIGHLY recommend verifying your charger’s polarity with a voltmeter before plugging anything in. Don’t trust blindly when equipment is on the line. See above about flipped polarities destroying a BMS.

6 Likes

My 6374 setup on my Flipsky Offroad kit sounds like shiiiiiit (it always has). I was always under the impression this setup is pretty noisy but curious as to what’s the most likely factor if I was looking to improve? Belt, pulley, motor, esc (Flipsky dual FSESC 6.6) etc?

So I picked up a Meanwell HLG-480H-48A LED driver and it’s says max output is 10A but I’m only getting a max of 5.5 to 6 amps. My voltage is set to 50.2v and I have the potentiometer for current set to max. Anyone else have this problem? Could it be that my lead is too long so I’m losing current or is it because my pack was only at 89% charged and the BMS is somehow limiting it max charge current.

Edit: I’m starting to think it’s the BMS, now that I’m at 93% charge I’m outputting 3.3 amps. I had no idea the BMS controls charging output.

I dont think this is really a BMS specific thing - iirc charging rate generally drops as a battery gets closer and closer to full as the voltage delta between the battery and charger decreases, which drops the rate that a battery charges at. I might be wrong though, for what thats worth.

3 Likes

The BMS cannot control the charge current. As the pack nears full charge the current starts to drop since there is less of a voltage difference between the charger and pack needed to force the current into the pack.

@Ac53n beat me to it. :grin:

2 Likes

Woo, i wasnt wrong! :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks to both of you. I will take the board for a long ride and set the current with the battery voltage lower.

1 Like

Plug an unused male connector into this while soldering it, to ensure the pin stays concentric.

2 Likes

Well, shit.

2 Likes

Looks the same as my yzpower one from the circuit design. Mine burnt in virtually the same places but the first time I plugged it in and turned it on without even connecting it to the board. It blew out the fuse, diode, resistor and bridge rectifier as well as god knows what else.

Maybe there’s a weak point on them, either way I got a wate one to replace it and that works fine so far.

1 Like