Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Is there any kind of meganoob tutorial on VESC’s, programming them, just a general rundown on them? I’ve been reading my face off on everything trying to get my ducks in a row before starting my first DIY. Have seen a lot of info on here about changing settings and various VESC apps to use and such but I’m just talking as basic as - VESC gets delivered, installed on board - now what? What to change right out of the gate, things not to overlook, etc. Like I said I’m looking for a VESC for Dummies guide here basically :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

The tutorial on the Vesc Tool page is a great starting point.

https://vesc-project.com/node/178

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks! It looks like there are a good chunk of YouTube videos on VESC tool also. This will give me some good stuff to kill time on our vacation drive today.

2 Likes

don’t watch those old age vesctool guide, watch something at least within the last half year or 1 year max, some older stuff are outdated or simply have been reworked already

1 Like

Mboards has a decent video from 2020 though I know some info on it is a bit outdated (dual VESCs for 2 motors instead of 1 integrated unit) but have a good overall setup picture. Will see if there are any more recent videos worth watching

keep in mind older tutorials are for older versions, a lot changed with the UI and wizards in 3.01

1 Like

The kingpin on my caliber 50s is about 6mm too short. It seems to be in the baseplate and maybe press fit or something. Anyone swapped one of these out for a longer KP lately?

What bushings are you using? Is it all the way inserted into the baseplate? Is it the kingpin that came with the baseplate?

Riptide all. BS/SS rear chubby/barrel. Front Chubby/Fatcone.

Yes.

Also affirmative. Its the front that’s the issue. The fatcone that seems to be a bit tall. My nut is tighter than I’d like.

Sounds like the bushings are too tall, but IDK.

You can make a new kingpin if you find the correct bolts and trim them to size, but make sure you use SAE Grade 8 bolts.

1 Like

I found some suitable bolts. Hoping I can find one thats 1/4"/6mm longer that I don’t have to trim.

1 Like

Yes, very true. I guess I really wanted to see a quick setup video from scratch on a VESC to get up and running. Having not done one before it sounds daunting/intimidating, but I’m sure it’s one of those things that once you do it it’s no big deal. I have no issue whatsoever with hands-on/mechanical aspects, but the electronics is where I’m really trying to do my due diligence.

1 Like

One motor is acting all kinds of fucky. Doesnt spin up with the other one(in fact, seems to lock up a bit if anythubg) but suddenly jumps to speed near top end.

Bout to crack this thing open and swap em, but figured id ask here first. Any ideas?

1 Like

Anyone have stomach issues after a bad fall? my stomach did feel bad b4 the fall but it felt like it does when my blood pressure is low. During the fall my stomach immediately felt worse on impact but it kind of got better with some time.

hours later now any movement hurts my stomach and the pain has exceeded the pain from my elbow that I landed on.

It could also be food poisoning from boiling an egg several hours before eating it yesterday. I just left it in my kettle since I thought I’d eat it soon. I’ve done the same thing without issues previously. (it was a dumb thing to do though)

I know this is a bit of a dumb question but I’m curious if anyone has had similar issues after a fall.

2 Likes

have you got any bruising, redness, locked up abdominal muscles? if so it’d be well worth doing to ER,

abdominal injuries can be pretty serious if left too long

3 Likes

Bro, go and get checked out. That sounds like an internal injury. U don’t wanna treat that lightly.

1 Like

no Bruising or redness at all in the area and I bruise easier than most. I fell onto my belt after my elbow as well. My clothing didn’t even end up ripping in the fall. My muscles were working fine and still work now and aren’t the source of pain.

I will get up and double check for any signs of injury just to be safe though.

Also it is worth mentioning that my stomach is prone to issues given that I have severe IBS. So if it sounds like I’m not taking things as seriously that is why; ER doctors can’t do much when it comes to chronic issues.

Update: still no visible bruising or redness on my torso in any location. Additionally, a physical check via pressure does not reveal any areas as being sensitive or in pain. I will continue to check tomorrow and at any point tonight if I have to get up/ get woken up by my dog.

Getting up also has shown me that the pain has been reduced after lying down for a few hours. It is still there and I’m not about to test it by staying out of bed for too long, but it is an improvement.

2 Likes

With the Vesc is phase filtering needed for field weakening?

What are your detection values on both sides under Motor → FOC → General? Do they match? If not, you can try manually inputting all the values from the good motor

2 Likes

Not needed

1 Like