Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I also tried the sensor/hal cables today and the rpm ratings are totally off.
I made a slowmo video of the motor/wheel spinning and came to pretty much 600 rpm.
The vesc tool showed over usb showed something around 10000 rpm :thinking:
Also… I used a 42V power source for the test as that should be about the voltage of a full 10S pack.
Now these motors are currently running on a desk without any real load (me bein pushed or something…)
I calculated the theoretical speed with the 600 rpm and the 165mm wheel diameter (hub motor) and I came to around 18km/h.
The motors are replacement parts for backfire ranger x2 boards and i use them with go-foc sv6 vescs and the 18km/h without a load are pretty dissappointing when the original makers of the backfire boards can somehow get to >40 km/h with ~50V (12S)?!
And the calc.esk8.news also got me a speed over 30km/h.
So what have I set up wrong that my rpm are that severely limited? I also tested different voltages (but did not count the frames of a slowmo video again) so I hear and see that it gets faster with 50V but I dont think that it scales unproportionally to the 42V with 18km/h
(sorry if my text is confusing im sadly so tired and confused today >.<)

They’re 33kv motors according to their website, so at 42V total RPM should be around 1300 or thereabouts after subtracting 5% for duty cycle. The VESC tool is likely showing eRPM, which is your RPM multiplied by the number of poles in the motor. Not sure why you’d be getting only 600rpm, maybe the power supply isn’t supplying enough current to get it all the way there? That’s unlikely when it’s unloaded though. Maybe throttle isn’t at 100% due to calibration issues?

yes they are supposedly 33kv motors and I havent informed myself about the whole erpm vs normal rpm yet (will do that tomorrow i go to sleep very soon)
And the 600 rpm are pretty accurately measured/counted i think… because I did “full throttle” on the remote(/ arrow keys in vesc tool “sound” the same) and did 40 seconds of slowmo video. The wheel has a white mark on it so I could then take a 10 second snippet of the video and go frame by frame and count the revolutions over the span of 10 video seconds and counted about 100 rounds per 10 seconds… I think I may have taken the slowmo footage I just realized… I guess that would result in a lower “rpm” as the 10 seconds in slowmo are not 10 second IN REAL TIME AHH :face_with_peeking_eye: i should go to sleep
Slowmo cam 10 seconds should be a multiple of that (120fps or something to 30 fps i think) therefore 4x?
Or maybe I retimed the 120 to 60 and we have ~2x the rpm therefore 1200 rpm which comes really close to your estimated 1300 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think it might work? My mockup here is on 10" caliber 2s, the line marks 145mm and the ckoudwheel are a stand in. As far as I remember they’re among the worst for width and overhang, so they’re positioned where I think it would all fit together. The 145mm + 50mm axle Vs 184mm + 35 comes out to ~9mm narrower, and it seems to just fit

Hey man, it looks like you have some weird shenanigans going going on here so I’d like to help!

If you want to get the rpm of a wheel by recording a video of it you have to be ready to count frames.

So, one of the ways to do this it’s by counting how many frames it takes the wheel to make a complete turn.

Imagine you took the video at 120fps, and your wheel takes 2 frames to complete a rotation. Then your wheel would be doing 60rps (revolutions per second 120frames p second/2frames p revolution). Then, by multiplying your 60 rps by 60 seconds in a minute you get 3600rpm.

In case you can not check individual frames (you have to use a specific program to see a video frame by frame, like adobe premiere or some advanced video editing tool) you have another option.

To do this, you need to know the frame rate at which the phone records your slow motion footage AND the frame rate at which it displays it to you later.

So for example if your phone does 120fps video, and displays it at 30fps, you will get a video that it’s X4 slower (aka 4 times longer).

Lets take you record 10 seconds of slomo video at 120fps. You display it at 30fps (making it now a 40s long video), and by watching the video at slow motion, you’re able to distinguish 100 rotations in the 10 first seconds of the slowed video.

This means that, as the video it’s 4 times slower than reality, the number of seconds in the real world would turn out to be 2’5s (10/4).

Which means that your wheel it’s doing 100 rotations per 2’5s. That ecuals to 40rps (100÷2’5) and that to 2400rpm(40rps×60s).

For this method to work you have to make sure that you know exactly at wat frame rate you’re recording and at what frame rate you’re playing it back.

Thanks for clarification. While writing the last reply I began to realize that something like that was what I overlooked. And yes I recorded like 20 real life seconds and imported that to davinci resolve. Then I cut the video at about 7 seconds in (where the rpm had settled at its max) and cut the clip to the next 10 seconds.
Then I just used the arrow keys to go frame-by-frame and counted when the white mark made a full rotation (just as you mentioned it was about every 2 frames).
This way I counted to 99 (and I may have missed one so I rounded to 100) and multiplied by 6 which was the error as the irl frames are slowed down (just like you now clarified).

A weird thing that I noticed was that the time counter just took 0:30 second markings as a full next increment so when counting up it goes from 0:29 directly to 1:00 on the next frame. Doesnt that mess up my counting? So that it halves my rpm or something when doing it that way? I mean the calc tool sais I should get max 1150 motor rpm so I am still a little confused how your calculation came to double that.
Could that come from my counting jumping to a minute every 30 frames, messing up the counting/time?

1 Like

Hey everyone. I recently set up a MakerX DV6 and it has been running great so far. The only issue I have had is when applying a speed limit/erpm limit using vesctool and/or metr, it only applies to one motor. Specifically it only applies to the non inverted motor. I tested and if I change the reverse erpm limit for the inverted motor, than the limit applies. I’ve tried using the encoder invert option too and that makes no difference. Does anyone know of a way to fix this without swapping my phase connectors so the motor direction is not inverted? TIA

Are you certain that the limit is being applied to both sides of the ESC?

1 Like

I’m not sure about when I’m using the “modes” feature but I edited the erpm of each side separately in the “expert” mode and the inverted motor only limits when I adjust the reverse erpm instead of the regular erpm. I also tested without having the motor inverted at all, so it does spin backwards, but then the forward limit works just fine.

Don’t use erpm limits on esk8s

1 Like

You mean don’t limit the speed at all? I don’t really need it for myself but I thought it’d be good in case a friend rides it.

1 Like

u just had this issue @xsynatic , it was something to do with the forward and backward speed isn’t it?

no, limiting the erpm will lose braking ability once erpm exceed that set number, so its more dangerous

3 Likes

That’s not what I mean.

I mean this, and, more specifically, only on VESC.

Gotcha. Is there another way to limit the speed in case I want to do that?

I would recommend going the hardware route of changing direction. Vesc tool changes the direction, but not the correlating speed settings.

So your working Motor for example has

Forward 30mph
Reverse 10mph

Your inverted motor needs to have

Forward 10mph
Reverse 30mph

And since this is a big mess i would recommend you change the phase wires so no firmware trickery is needed.

1 Like
3 Likes

Okay thanks, that’s what I figured from my testing, but I wasn’t sure if I was missing a software option for inverting the speed settings.

Duty cycle limits are much safer imo

1 Like

This is how it looks with inverted motors. Bad bad bad

So those Vesc tool profiles change the duty cycle to limit the speed or did you calculate the max duty cycle for each profile? I was attempting to use the Metr modes but it looks like those modes adjust the max erpm which is why I assumed that was how to limit the speed.
Edit: My bad I see you were showing the inverted limits, not the profile speed limits.