Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I don’t expect to be in the rain too much but it would be nice for the peace of mind. I’m looking at getting this. Do you think one of these is good enough?

Does the tintable part mean that if I buy it from home Depot with the plywood they will add color to it for me to match my plywood color?

After I updated VESC to 6.2, my VX4 on UART the throttle doesn’t work, tried everything. Sure I lost a point but I really can’t find were.
The remote is paired and shows all the information even when I throttle it shows that I’m doing it on the screen. Any help will be appreciated :sweat:

Roll back to 5.2

1 Like

Have you put the controller setting into “current”?

1 Like

Yes, also all the other options :sweat:

Did you set it up properly afterwards? Updating firmware resets all the settings.

1 Like

Reading this, I can’t help but think how much I’d prefer to have laminating epoxy over any of these other chemicals or treatments.

I’d personally just try raw untreated wood and seal all of it with epoxy. But IDK :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Boats and trailers should use marine grade plywood not exterior rated. Its Not epoxy but the adhesive is waterproof not water resistant like exterior rated and the wood selected is more appropriate for outdoor use vs use on the exterior of a structure. Then just epoxy coat it but you don’t need to.

Just my personal experience but ive made shipping crates from raw marine grade 3/4 ply that have travelled on flatbeds cross country with no ill effects for years

3 Likes

Id prefer that but unfortunately marine grade plywood isn’t readily available near Toronto and it would be twice the price. Perhaps $150-200cad

To connect my trailer to my esk8, I have this aluminum flat bar which will go through to my back truck. I need a 90deg L bracket to attach the bike adapter to that flat bar.

I’m thinking of getting a motor bracket or perhaps a reinforced one like this. I need a 12mm hole. Any suggestions?

I want to keep the trailer centered behind the board, right? There’s a bit of an offset because the trailer arm doesn’t go far enough horizontally - given its designed for bikes.

Would I just get a long M12 bolt and put some extra (blue) nuts in between? How about putting two brackets on the metal bar like this?

This trailer build is awesome dude, you should give it it’s own thread!

3 Likes

Can you extend the tubular section that has the bike bracket on it to bring it closer to center? Like this

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I cannot because I ordered cut aluminum so I don’t have any extra, plus that end has their custom adapter on the end that I don’t know how I’d remove and extend properly. Do you think it’s okay if use a long bolt and put those nuts as spacers?

Order a piece of aluminum square tube with an ID that matches the OD of the existing one, cut the arm, and insert the new tube over the ends as a sleeve.
Secure with epoxy and/or bolts.

3 Likes

Are 12mm axle nuts generally 5/8 inch? New trucks are gonna have 12s for the first time, and I wanna buy a wrench to carry in my backpack.

1 Like

Yep 5/8”

2 Likes

OK, what’s the best guess on this? I thought it might be a loose c-clip allowing the pulley to rub on the mount, but the mount has no signs of wear. Could it still be related to the pulley? Or is there maybe a vesc issue here? It only happens when loaded.

Howdy, I recently went back to using a puck on my mountainboard and it’s been randomly applying the brake on me
(several instances of returning to center, staying there for a moment and then suddenly applying ~35% brake with no user input, it will also occasionally hold the brake command after returning to center but I’ve only seen this on the bench)
so far I’ve tried:

Checking for loose connections between the receiver and vesc

Recalibrating the remote with vesctool and raising input deadband

Opening up the puck to check the potentiometer joints as mentioned in the puck PSA

Any suggestions?

1 Like

Not sure about your problem with the puck, but a Z.Mote will solve whatever the problem is :rofl:

I’m pretty sure he’s been using a z.mote prior to this… planning to use it for another board? @Egtscs

2 Likes