Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I’ve never used those, so take this with a grain of salt. But it doesn’t look like the physics of those pliers have the same sort of self-tightening mechanism that a pipe wrench does, where the more you try to torque it, the tighter it grips. Maybe they do…IDK

1 Like

They do have some of that self-gripping mojo. One of their promotional videos shows a guy grabbing a pipe with the pliers, and then standing on the handle to demonstrate just how well they self-tighten.

They are the best pair of adjustable pliers I have ever used, and it’s not even close.

5 Likes

Sounds like I have a purchase to make.

3 Likes

I am happy to spread the good word of Knipex tools.

2 Likes

I second this. These things absolutely rock.

Got it for $15 at a flea market shop and they had a few others I’m considering going back for.

4 Likes

Hello, i am having troubles with my vx 1 remote and i was hoping somone could maybe help me.

I am using the remote for vesc 4 and i use a vesc 6 from what i understood UART should not work but PPM should.
However even when i set my vesc for PPM imput the vesc tool doesn’t detect the vx1 signal.

I tried with other RC receivers and remots and the vesc works fine (i can spin the motors)
But nothing happens with the VX1…

if anybody has an idea or an advice…
thx

If you use PPM you need the PPM harness, take a pic of your setup?

1 Like

Have you tried two nuts? Not sure how well it would work with this amount of torque but it’s used to fasten awkward headless threads so it could be worth a try

PPM harness? I have never heard of this can you explain?

In the picture i simply wired the receiver to vcc gnd and signal

Maybe if I was tightening it, but I don’t think it would do the trick for removing. The nuts just unscrew

huh that should be it. What do you see in firmware?

yeah I haven’t tested that idea out, I think it should still work the same as tightening with the friction locking them but it feels like a stretch. Obviously you’d be reefing on the opposite nut, the one further down the threads

2 Likes

In firmware i set the imput source (in the general setings) to PPM and the control type is set to currrent no reverse.

The problem comes when i do the “setup imput” : I select PPM type receiver but then the blue bar doesn’t move with the remote.
I am not sure what page of my vesc tool setup i can send to illustrate my problem.
thx

make sure realtime app data is turned on

1 Like

My understanding regarding programming 2 single VESCs connected together via CANBUS is that you write the vesc tool data to one, then read app configuration and write to the second? (Program each individually using the same settings)

Is the above correct?

More importantly, will I need to adjust any current limits or motor timing values to prevent issues with synchronization between the 2 motors? Will some settings require adjustment to ensure proper operation?

I think this is wrong.

In VESCtool when you switch to a CAN-connexted VESC VT will read the settings of that VESC.

To do what you’re describing you’d want to backup your settings from the known good config and then load it up when connected to the unconfigured ESC

So it will read and write to both via the CAN connection? Or I have to write data to both individually?

If you use the wizard, you can write both.

Idk how to write to both manually but I would do as I mentioned previously, and just load a backup and apply those settings.

1 Like

Ok got it, thanks. I will likely use the wizard because it’ll be a new install and setup.

Any advantages to not using the wizard?

1 Like

None AFAIK unless you’re using an older FW and need to tune HFI

You still need to go in manually after the wizard is done and set your motor amps to higher than the detection sets them, as well as your battery cutoffs if you dare. The wizard will always be pretty conservative.

Although for your first build it’s probably better to stick with the detected values and then change settings later once you have a feel for it.

2 Likes