Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Yes, I sent them to you with the Boas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahhh thanks, €60 with wheels and pulleys wow I ripped you off. Edit: nvm I did pay for those separately, feel less guilty now

Was messing around with ChatGPT and asked if you can write motor and battery configs to both sides of a VESC at the same time (instead of having to input all your values into one side, write it, and then switch to the other side of the VESC and do the same). This was the answer. Any thoughts/insight?

To write motor and battery config to both sides of VESC (Vedder Electronic Speed Controller) simultaneously, you can use the “Read Configuration” and “Write Configuration” buttons in the VESC Tool software. Here are the steps:

1. Connect the VESCs using a 4-pin CAN bus cable.
  2. Launch the VESC Tool software and select the “App Configuration” tab.
  3. Under “Control mode,” select “Multiple VESC over CAN.”
  4. Click on “CAN Forwarding” and select “Forward all CAN messages to other connected VESCs.”
  5. Click on the “Read Configuration” button in the Motor Configuration or Battery Configuration tab to read the configuration from one of the VESC units.
  6. Once the configuration is read, click on the “Write Configuration” button to write the same configuration to both VESC units simultaneously.
  7. You can then make any necessary changes to the configuration, and use the “Write Configuration” button again to write the changes to both VESC units.

By using the “Read Configuration” and “Write Configuration” buttons, you can easily transfer the motor and battery configuration from one VESC unit to the other, ensuring that both units have the same settings.

It sure does craft extremely convincing hallucinations, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was scratching my head a bit too.

cGPT will lie through its teeth and be damn confident about it if you don’t catch it and correct it.

1 Like

I’m jealous of its ignorant confidence

Don’t be, I have it a bit and I find it more of a curse than a blessing.

2 Likes

quick question here, do the srb 3-links profit from evo angles or should i eliminate them ?

I’m running 3-links on a split angle deck made by @glyphiks and it’s glorious!

1 Like

My split is a lot less than an evo tho. Semendeed is +5/-5, where i think evo is +10/-10 or possibly even more.

1 Like

Fair points. Easy enough to change positions of radius rods. I still run steepest angle on front with split so could move to middle position. On rear i run middle position currently but could move if deck angle steeper.

2 Likes

thanks guys, ill pay around with the setup and see where it goes

1 Like

If memory serves correct, I think maybe the early Evo models were +15/-15 and the later ones +10/-10 degrees

My 2020 Evo is +9/-9 I think

The product pages for the Focbox Unity are kind of vague, so I figured I’d ask on here to ask this. It is listed on some sites as having a built in 5v output for other devices as well as a built in battery protection system. They don’t really specify anything past that, so is the port circles in red meant to be that “battery protection” feature where you’d plug the battery charging port into it? And is the blue circle the intended 5v output they’re talking about that is labeled as a servo port? wait, I think the comm port is where they want you to pull the 5v from since the servo port also is labeled as PPM which is a controller option.

I’m pretty sure that the red circle is the “battery protection” they’re talking about since it is fused and the 5v source can’t also have a bat+ pin on it since then it would be at least a 36v source.

i don’t know anything about this, but if i had to guess this is just a fancy way of saying that the esc does low voltage cutoff.

1 Like

I don’t think it does.

1 Like

That connector is in the format that most charger ports use though :thinking:

I don’t plan to use it since the battery for the build has its own BMS, and the port wire won’t reach the connector on the VESC, but it seems like they intended it to be a built in bms. I don’t see why there would be a seperate connection for bat+ and bat- when they came with an xt-60 already attached. also that port cannot handle the current you’d be pulling from the battery when in use. It can handle the current used when charging though

They only list: “smart power down” and “over voltage protection” so I think you’re right about it not having a low voltage protection. Pretty sure it’ll just turn off if there isn’t enough voltage which is pretty standard afaik :person_shrugging:

I’m not even sure it does that. Turn motors off, yes, if you set up the software correctly. But power-down, stopping (within reason, down to microamperes) current draw, I don’t believe that occurs on its own.

I don’t recall trying it with that model recently, but I would absolutely not trust it to protect a battery in this fashion.