Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Alright tried -80 on the motors it was no help here’s my mapping:

I think I’m going to go for default 5.3 instead of what’s on the ESC.

1 Like

There’s something about turning off phase filters that’s super important for the maker x esc d series. I’m not really sure - just check that out

3 Likes

Phase filters need to be off and motor absolute current max needs to be less than 200A

2 Likes

Yeah phase filters are currently off and if I go with default firmware I’ll have to be sure to keep that off.

Yeah I think the default was 150A

I think @Evwan you flashed default firmware right?

1 Like

Nah I’m running their custom fw.

1 Like

Damn ok. So, what did you have to do to get smart reverse to work? Or did it just work for you after retrying?

The new updated custom firmware on their website works for me. I just have to hold brake for like 2-3 seconds then it engages.

Ah ok yours was first batch so you needed it right? How do we tell again, cause I don’t think mine is? But maybe I should just flash whatever is on their website anyways…

Are you clicking “read”, then changing settings, then clicking “write”?

1 Like

Hmm haven’t been clicking read beforehand but the next time I open the vesc app or metr it’s still there the previous setting I wrote out

if your d75 says 120 amps its batch 2 and above. Batch one is 140amps

1 Like

Link to a document to understand the relations of current (amperage) between battery/ VESC/ motors ?

So, according to MakerX I need to upload this bootloader:

But I don’t have this option, just generic. How do I get the other ones?

Tagging @Evwan in case you happen to know

Looks like all these settings/options are available when I boot the app, but go away as soon as I connect:

Generic should work. Bootloader is responsible for loading the firmware after its been sent to the esc. If it’s missing then the firmware won’t “stick”.

1 Like

Thanks I uploaded the one they have on their site, but didn’t change anything brakes are still weak.

Which board did you ride and liked the brakes on? Was it VESC based? You probably know this already, but regen brakes get weaker the slower you go. They won’t stop like a car/bike with physical brakes from 5mph to 0mph. But maybe if there was a board that you liked the brakes on, you could compare motor, kv, gearing, wheel size, single vs dual motor, etc and see what’s different.

1 Like

@zero_ads what kind of wheels/tires are you running?

1 Like