Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

like a parking brake…I like it.

No, that’s something totally different.

Whats different about Hyst Reverse?

You have full control, like you do with forward throttle.

But it still allows braking down to zero, unlike “Current” mode, which will brake down to zero and then just continue into reverse, which is super annoying to me.

3 Likes

So then how does braking to zero work. Does it not reverse until you go back to center then go back?

That’s the “hyst” or hysteresis part.

If you brake down to (almost) zero, it will brake and continue to brake, and NOT apply reverse. If you then let go of the throttle and then push it into brake again, it will be a reverse throttle.

It would be like if in a car, if you were stopped, and you took your foot off the brake pedal and then you put your foot back on the brake pedal, and it turned into a “backwards gas” pedal. So, “pump brakes for reverse” sort of.

Just try it. It’s hard to describe but absolutely the best experience of what is currently available, IMHO.

2 Likes

Only issue I’ve had with hyst reverse is not being able to “pendulum” like an EUC

Only thing that scares me about hyst reverse and current is having full power on tap in reverse :sweat_smile: I wouldn’t want to accidentally blip the throttle backwards

Yes, this is a problem with VESC firmware.

There is no “max duty cycle” and “min duty cycle” (like -95%) and nor can you control motor current by direction.

But just like how dangerous the forward throttle can be, you get used to it as you learn to use the machine.

2 Likes

You get used to it after a bit, but also tweaking your throttle curve helps.

The negative half of your throttle curve controls your reverse ramping, just as the positive half controls forward ramping.

I really wish VESCtool would allow split throttle curves, like polynomial on negative but linear on positive.

1 Like

180s

I’ll probably switch to hyst reverse once I stop being a little :cat2:

1 Like

Nah, hyst reverse is awesome. Just try it now is my advice.

If you want to be a :cat2: then just stay away from Current mode (unless you ride switch) because it will fuck you up.

Yeah checked that when I was trying out settings and gave Current a hard pass

1 Like

But current is fun lol

2 Likes

Oh, I am not disagreeing with that. It is fun.

Reverse burnouts while still moving forward are pretty cool. But I imagine not everybody’s cup of tea :rofl:

1 Like

I can’t imagine it on a urethane street board but on my mtb it’s quite fun haha

1 Like

Definitely more fun offroad, its sketchy as fuck on urethane :rofl:

1 Like

Lol on dirt I could see it being a lot of fun. On 8” street wheels I just picture my Davega being imprinted on my forehead when I accidentally throttle back. I’m sure I’ll grow a pair eventually and try it :sweat_smile: