Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

About 1/4 cost

2 Likes

Lot of faith in that layer adhesion

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

About 1/4 the comfort

Im not saying you dont get what you pay for, if i had the beans i would get the heel straps from mbs but i have tons of 3d printer filament and can at least see if i want them. It suits my shoe choice as well.

3d printed shoes?

1 Like

@glyphiks can i use some urethane as a low strength but sealing adhesive between a fiberglass enclosure and a 3dprinted part? Would you recommend regular epoxy over it?

2 Likes

I like to ride in metcons and the heel is sturdy. But have considered designing heels as a gift…

1 Like

Anything urethane is gonna be better than epoxy if you’re aiming for thickness on a deck

1 Like

Hey folks,

I’ve recently got myself a Bustin Sportster Hybrid V3. Wanted an upgrade from my 2yr old Wowgo 3 and my off-road DIY board is gathering a lot of dust as I’ve realised I prefer carving on a street board.

Loving the deck, trucks, wheels etc (went for the 100mms), top speed is good too but having a little bit of buyers regret when it comes to the smoothness of acceleration and braking. Feels more jerky than i’m used to with the Wowgo and that means i’ve got some braking anxiety given i’m riding on the street and always assume every car wants to kill me!

So, given I love everything else I was looking at options:

1 - Could i swap the esc from my Wowgo into the Bustin (use the Wowgo remote too)? The Bustin has a 10s3p vs the 10s2p in the wowgo, would that work? Or are the factory locked settings on the Wowgo making this not an option or would i lose performance?
2 - I’ve also got a Stormcore 60D+ in my offroad board along with a Flipsky VX2 remote, could I do it that way? Surely be an option, given I configure the esc accordingly?

I’m presuming this problem is the ESC they use in the Bustin’s (I saw an old post on the V2 which showed it was a very old Lingyi, so assuming the V3 also may be outdated). But if you have other ideas let me know

Thanks

Yes, you should be able to swap in the wowgo stuff just fine. the only part of a battery that matters in this case is the voltage (S count, in your case both 10s). The ESC has no way to know how many cells are in parallel.

Yes, also totally doable. I’d probably go that way just because the extra tunability vescs give.

1 Like

Thankyou, would the esc likely limit the speed though if I used the Wowgo one? Wowgo is rated to go to 38kmh, bustin should go up to 48kmh. If I could still get the most out of the bustin board the Wowgo esc would be my preferred option as I still have the off-road good to go if I do want to hit a trail.

Honestly not sure, I don’t know what method they’re using to limit the speed. If it’s just the physical limit of the board (KV of the motors, battery voltage, gear ratio and wheel size), then it might run up to the new full speed just fine.
If the wowgo ESC has a hardcoded ERPM limit or similar, then that could be problematic however.
Maybe someone else can chime in with more info about those boards/ESCs specifically.

Anyone know if you’re able to connect a remote receiver to the 4-pin UART on the side of a Stormcore 60D? I have a Davega using the 8-pin UART on the front and wanted to try connecting a VX4 via UART. I have a puck connected through PPM which is fine and I know I can do that with the VX4, but I’d like to use the screen readout on the VX4 as well.

Assuming the vx4 isn’t weirdly proprietary… You can run your remote with ppm and still get the screen data by tieing in just the rx and tx pins to your remote receiver. The maytech split trigger receiver does this and I would expect you can do the same on your remote.

Maytech-MTSKR1905WF-Manual-V2-0.pdf (2.5 MB)

One thing to note is that the original stormcore 60d (not the plus version) accidentally messed up the wiring to that extra uart port, rendering is useless. If you have a plus version, that uart port will work fine as long as you’re on 5.3fw or above.

1 Like

It’s PWM. It’s typo’d in VESC software as “PPM”

And on lots of escs too

and in your post LOL

4 Likes

Mine is regular 60D (not +) so sounds like I got a dead side UART port. My Davega is already using the RX and TX from the front UART- would I tie into those or could I use the RX3/TX3 on the side port? (If they are wired properly?)