Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

This

1 Like

If I remove the motor sensor cable from a motor which has already gone through motor detection. Do I need to redo motor detection in order for that motor to run sensorless? (Too lazy to fix the wiring atm)

After I input everything it just stays greyed out on the right side. Set chemistry to liion as well.

Edit: It was my ad blocker, turned it off and values are showing up now.

3 Likes

I had the same problem. I think i might’ve had to switch browsers too

1 Like

i hate when website does that, that’s why i don’t use it

1 Like

What is a good starting point for efficiency? im using SRB rubber slicks and helical geardrives. 80%?

1 Like

what what is the max value it could realistically be? 90%?

To get everything running and recognized properly you should, yes. I have had sensor wires come out mid rid but i noticed the motor noises and low speed torque.

1 Like

Sweet thanks will do then

1 Like

I would say 75- 80% is probably pretty realistic

There are a lot of different ways “powerful” can manifest.
If you geared a board to match the top speed of a production board, then it would have a LOT more torque than the prebuilt. That’s where the power goes.
If you gear a board wayyy faster than the prebuilt, then the extra power goes into achieving that higher speed, and you don’t get the extra torque.

Remember that power = speed x torque. If you have X power, you can either put it towards higher speed, or higher acceleration, not both. If you want both, then you need even MORE power.

3 Likes

I just got a simple question. I’ve been riding my build for a few months and I don’t got a Bluetooth module hooked up to my VESC yet so I got no clue how much miles I have already, does the VESC store the data for total mileage on its own and I could see that in the VESCtool or that just doesn’t exist, would be interesting to see how much I’ve already put on my esk8

no it doesn’t, u can view real time data on vesctool app, but recording / logging still need to be done externally. any previous ride u’ve done, those are lost forever

2 Likes

Damn, well good to know. Thanks

Got a hilarious mental image of a bunch of students flying at the wall after touching the system :rofl:

1 Like

No, just change it to sensorless

Oh? I’m guessing it’s just a setting the VESC app then?

Ye

MotorSettings>FOC>General>SensorMode :arrow_right: Sensorless

You don’t need to redo the detection, and if it’s working well then repeating the detection without saving the old values is actually not without risk.

1 Like

Idk i think full charge cycles are healthy for a battery

I think i figured out what is wrong RE:this.

When the ek8news calc says loaded max speed what it really means is the average of loaded max and loaded min speeds… IMO thats very misleading. 3ds calc is definitely superior.

1 Like