Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I know that but the nurses and doctors didn’t hence me explaining that I would be dead if it was able to cause any electric burns.

1 Like

On a a scale of 1-10, how torque torquey would you consider the following setup. 1 being boosted v1 and 10 being SRB.

42:17 (2.47:1) reduction, 150mm wheels, 100 motor Amps per side, reacher v5 6384s, 2wd, 205kv 12s

0 voters

1 Like

12s 190kv?

1 Like

Did you write the config to the vesc in the wizzard? Should work right away. Set your throttle type and calibrate the top and bottom end and then write it.

Yeah, well pretty close. 205kv

Thats gonna blow for torque.

I just had the semendeed set up on 48:18 190kv with 120mm wheels on 16s and it had like zero torque.

1 Like

12s 2.8 190kv 90a 150mm left me wanting a bit more. Its fun enough, but not really torqy on take off.
This setup is the minimum i would go with.

Someone voted 1, that shit is gonna be way stronger than a Boosted V1 LOL

Is it possible to have something geared for 45 mph that still is torquey? (I mean with standard motors we use, obviously SRB and company have figured their stuff out ) I used the eskate calc lol to get my ratio and I’m thinking the efficiency setting may have screwed me over a bit.

Mostly a thought exercise but are there any suggestions for how to do enclosure validations without as much risk of catastrophic failure? I was thinking through how to check out the strength of a 3d printed enclosure and the only thing I could think of is to mount your actual electronics on top and put an equivalent weight in the test enclosure below. Still feels like a bit of a roll of the dice because you can’t know if you just got lucky and didn’t hit something that’d kill it

Big volts, big amps, big ratio, big kv

1 Like

I’d mount the enclosure on the deck without anything breakable inside and just do some brute force tests. So over curbs where you know it’ll hit the enclosure, throwing rocks at it, kicking it, dropping something on it, and just anything else you think would happen in use.

For water proof testing, you can remove the electronics and fill the enclosure with water to check for leaks.

Also you could print the enclosure at a smaller thickness than what you want in the end and just reinforce it with some epoxy for extra strength, layer adhesion, and water resistance. Plus that way you can set the print to be faster since the epoxy would prevent layer issues

It is easier to make the enclosure way stronger than you’ll ever need vs trying to make it just strong enough to hold up to normal use.

1 Like

I guess a version 2 is in order. I’m super disappointed, but I guess I had unrealistic expectations going into this. For some reason I was under the impression that coming from low powered production boards, anything vesc based would feel very powerful but I guess I was just unfathomably wrong on that one.

Separate question: is the eskate calc actually accurate? Specifically I’m interested in the efficiency thing and how it effects loaded top speed. Can anyone who has a top speed tested build plug their info into the calc and see how well it predicts it?

On a physics level definitely, but I think anyone comfortable on a boosted would have no trouble handling this setup. At least as far as torque/acceleration goes.

1 Like

Not enough, let me summon the master of trying to break enclosure with a hammer but then give up because he got tired: @glyphiks

2 Likes

TBFAAAIIIIIR he is like really really weak

Dude, i’m a carpenter. Can swing a hammer. Even had another chippy mate over having a bash at it as well. We were both incredibly impressed

I use the 3dservisas calc and as long as you tune it properly, i find it to be very accurate.

It does take a lot of time, practice and log knowledge to tune the calc tho. The main one is the efficiency. You need logs from a known, working setup to tune the efficiency to get the calc to match your logged data.

From there you get a better idea about the efficiency and the calc becomes a far more accurate tool

2 Likes

I may just be being dumb, but how do you actually use the 3dservisas calculator? I input all my stuff and nothing calculates.

Am I missing a button or something?

Send a screenshot. Did you set the battery chemistry? Cause AFAIK once you set that everything else has a default value

1 Like