Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

you could use “cold blue” to get a similar effect.
I don’t have any experience with moon’s stuff, but as long as the drives are reasonably sealed, IMO you probably don’t need to go to the trouble.

1 Like

@Cyanoacrylate Thanks for chiming in.

GREEN LOCTITE, ASSEMBLE!

@b264

1 Like

If I wanted to run 4wd would it be fine on a 4p battery, or should I really consider more cells per p group?

normally yes, u have more weight as a whole, u have more rolling resistance also, ur average Wh/km is gonna go up even on the same route with same riding style. so u probably should have more than 4p

besides, more p = less heat per cell = less degrade, so its a good thing unless u overkill it like @Takachi14 making 20p

1 Like

At 2A battery current per motor with SPIM08HP cells, it would be totally fine. Overkill, in fact.

2 Likes

32p excuse u XD

1 Like

ur single pgroup is gonna beat my whole board very soon in Wh

1 Like

But unless ur making a low range 4wd setup u want it to be at least 8p or higher and also preferably two individual packs because again more amps draw= more workload om the pack which will also entail more heat build up. Which is something you dont want. Dividing battery workload is imperative to maintain cool tempertures considering unlike ev cars and motos we as pev riders dont have any active cooling built around our packs. So if u either ride for a long time or pull way to much amps then wat u need to be pulling from ur pack u can build up heat very fast with no real way of dissipating it quickly. Especially on a 4wd setup.

Haha possibly

So halve the pack? Like say 2 12s3p packs? Wouldn’t that lower the amount of amps I could draw?

No it wouldnt, for example lets say u want to pull 160a for ur 4wd setup right,40a per can if u have two 3p packs rather then a 6p u will be pulling 26.67a per cell on a 3p pulling 80a total battery current limit per pack rather then doing the same thing out of a single 6p. Lowering ur packs sustain voltage sag under load since realistically u wanna have a amp differental for 4wd ie have more amps in rear then front. So really the bat amp setup should be 50a rear 30a front. Using high discharge cells like p42a or 40ts

1 Like

It’s less of a question of p group number, more of a current draw.

What’s cells are you working with? Lipo, lion, lifepo?

What kind of current are you trying to pull per motor?

1p on lipo could be fine or you might need 10p if using older Samsung 25r lion 18650.

Btw, weight adds up if ur doing li-ion.

2 Likes

P42a molicels. Haven’t really thought about how much current I want to draw. But yeah definitely will add up. Especially if I’m doing double batteries cause then I imagine I’d need double BMSes too.

Yea u would for a split pack setup but its nice since you can keep a eye on both packs and there temp build up as u ride. And a 12s6p 4wd board wont be to heavy, about 35-4ish pounds maybe.

1 Like

My board is est. to be about 90lb or a lil more with a 12s32p split so 2 12s16ps with a small aux 3s4p pack for leds,headlights etc. Packs weight in kg is 18.4 roughly so 40lb. If u factor the fishpaper,nickel and other materials used to make the two packs total weight can be said to be 42lb.

1 Like

Damn intense

Yup but i ride alot, over 35mph+ consistently street terrain depending and i hate fucking charging with a passion. So having two 2.7kw full charge packs to just go out and ride completely without worry of range, still getting the power output i want for sustained and peak and being able to outrange vast majority of ppl makes me happy.

1 Like

I bet you would lose your esk8 mind if you rode a board half that weight but the same power and half the range.

1 Like

you intend to bypass bms discharging, right?

Otherwise You will be disappointed trying to spec two bms’ that will meet the spike current draw I bet u are trying to achieve.

What’s making you try to spit the battery into two? Weight distribution?

I can’t recommend a pack for the front and a pack for the rear. That’s a bad day eventually. Canbus is trustworthy.

There’s nothing wrong with rolling on 4wd first try (is it? Sorry if not) at 30A burst per wheel.

Oh u know it i would hate that board instantly. I can comfortably ride anything lightweight, not 4wd and dont have the same range by board has itll feel like shit to me.