Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Thanks for the suggestions. My phone is usually in my pocket when riding. For a wireless mic that’s an extra thing to charge and worry about. Putting it in the remote is compelling, but I like just being able to talk directly to the board so it feels like the board is alive. I may consider that depending on how this works.

2 Likes

The Alu PCB is like 7x better for cooling off the shelf, and only costs $90. I just don’t see the point in trying to modify the boxy version

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804672192790.html

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804277669942.html

3 Likes

Hmmm. Ok your the expert , I would buy the alu pcb now , anyway after seeing the datasheet of the MOSFETs … Wtf are those beasts 1.2mohm and 380A, no need to mention the pulsed current :grin:

But I wanna ask about software current limit, is it hacked in the firmware you shared here? if so is there a new limit? or is it unlimited now ?

1 Like

I’ve been interested in trying the field weakening with VESC, but I can’t find any good information about what the maximum field weakening current actually means and how does it behave in action?

How do all these values (apart from the ramp time, as that it quite self explanatory) work together?

100%. Those TOLL mosfets are awesome… and they are properly cooled. They attach directly to the PCB then the PCB its self is cooled. Compared to the TO-220 design, this just has a way better thermal transfer, not to mention the better RDS-ON. So even a bigger cooling block or whatever on the TO-220 version is still bottlenecked by the thermal transfer of that design… mostly the small legs of that package I think.

There is both a regular and an unlimited firmware version now. 6.00 and higher is part of the VESC project and both versions can be found in the desktop tool if you check “show non-standard firmware”

Or you can go to the firmware archive on GitHub and manually load it through the custom tab on the tool. Just be completely sure you grabbed the right one:

I run it on an ebike. It’s pretty awesome, but it eats range like no other.

All you have to do is set the “Field Weakening Current Max” to something like 10-50A and it will start adding additional current around 90% duty cycle to overcome the normal RPM limits.

The drawback is that it’s a fixed current. So with a 50A setting, 100% throttle above 90% duty will be 50A + whatever is needed for the actual load. There is also a concern that if the VESC faults while driving field weakening and that current stops, then the bemf voltage would be much higher and if that’s above the mosfets vds could short them and lock it up briefly… or something like that. I’ve never experienced it but it’s been discussed.

Some more testing here, and a few posts down:

I am familiar with the operating theory and possible failure mode behavior. I am just really confused about how the FW current works exactly.

So that is the actual D axis current used to weaken the field? So if my motor amps max is 50A and my FW current is 10A, then the maximum possible current it will push to the motor would be 10A+50A?? Do you know how the Q axis current ratio factors into this? I’d imagine that it sets the maximum allowed FW current based on the motor amps, so if you’re pushing 50A motor amps with 10% Q axis current factor, then it would push max 5A of FW current?

Yeah, the VESC firmware adds d axis current for field weakening.

In my testing it respects the motor current max. So if your motor max is 50A, and FW max is 10A, then you can still only do 50A. If the regular load needed is 50A, then no field weakening current will be applied. If the load is only 20A, then it will add 10A of FW above 90% duty when the throttle is full. Half throttle will add 5A of FW.

An easy example was the hill climb test. Same top speed with 0A and 50A field weakening… because I needed all the normal motor current to climb it at that speed.

TBH even after years of messing with VESCs I still feel like a noob. There are a lot of people way smarter than I am in the VESC discord that might be able to help in more detail

1 Like

I think you gave enough information that I feel comfortable to start testing. I’m also using it on an E-bike, which I put together at the start of this year and have already done over 900km on it, but the hub motor that I’m using is pretty low KV and I’m using my esk8’s 10S pack, which limits my top speed at full battery to about 33kmh | ~20mph and gets closer to 25kmh | 15mph when nearing empty, which is slower than what I can at some places pedal, which then causes my motor EMF to get above the battery voltage and start charging it and braking/slowing me down, which is annoying.

2 Likes

Looks fun!

Sounds like it will work well with that setup. The biggest thing I had to keep an eye on was motor temperature. If you have a temp sensor in the motor then no big deal

1 Like

Anyone have luck setting up a Flipsky VX4? I cannot seem to get mine to work on my DV6 and can’t figure out why. I have it set to UART and FSESC on the remote. In VESC tool under App settings it’s set to UART, and in VESC remote section it is set to Current.

I’ve tried running Input setup wizard trying all different control types (ppm, NRF, ADC, etc) and can’t get it to register throttle movement at all. Tried swapping RX and TX wires but no luck there either. What am I missing?

2 Likes

Yea I know this trick they do I always compare them to each other and consider rating specially the product i wanna buy , no worries I never let seller trick me :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

1 Like

About the thin legs its easy you can thicken them by soldering thick wire to source and drain 12 legs total

About the firmware I’m afraid I would pick the wrong one :joy:, mistakes are forgivable if made with the right firmware , but the wrong firmware hmmmm I donno , would you pick me the right firmware with unlimited current and volts :pleading_face:
This is the esc i will buy

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKlQDDG

I am looking for the correct kind of connector to solder on my Stormcore 100Dx 3 phase motor connectors to the TorqueBoards direct drive connectors?

https://lacroixboards.com/products/stormc

Welp I dunno what I did but my VX4 ended up working somehow :man_shrugging:t2:

IIRC those connectors are 5.5mm bullets on 16awg phase wires :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha sure, the github link above is the right one.

Inside that you will want:

VESC_default_no_hw_limits.bin

Make sure it’s 512KB when it downloads.

More info in the flipsky firmware update thread

2 Likes

anyone know if there’s a sort of compendium listing motors that are known to work well with HFI/VSS?

anyone know of DD or hub motors that work well with VSS?

Anyone got experience with the Ovonic lipo batteries? Thinking of getting a pair for my build they seem a decent price

Thank you buddy alot, I wish you were working with flipsky, their customer service is realy idiot they need guys like you :hugs::hugs::heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes