Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I think the problem is the clone core not fitting true abec pressfit

1 Like

my hoyt pulley fit cloudwheel fake abec core perfectly

1 Like

Nice! Maybe cos it has 3 pins instead of all 6 :thinking:

Seems like our primary point of disagreement is my strong prioritization of feel over practicality.
(in the time it took me to type this people have moved on to a different subject :sleepy:)

at this point this feels like semantics, If the minimum, average, and maximum are all higher I think it’s safe to say that.

I can understand feeling like this, just a personal annoyance for me, most of the streets I cross I have to launch and get across the street as fast as I can if I don’t want to wait forever.

Also fair, again likely something to do with the fact that I’m more concerned about the feel than practicality is I don’t like the feel of anything top mounted, I’m not aware of any drop through decks with a tail.

Yeah, I might get tired of lugging around my 35lb diy at some point but as of now I’ll grab that before anything else.

Only question is, who will make one first :sweat_smile:

Interesting idea though…

:thinking:

1 Like

dunno, my hoyt drivetrain came assemble already back in the day

1 Like

Yep, if it wasn’t for the design change I would’ve already had a pressfit pulley on the clouds since the old clouds used to fit Abec

You prolly had to get the whole assembly I’m assuming, not just the pulley alone, it’s very similar tho. Also I just couldn’t find any 36T pulleys for the clouds, i found a good setup from the esk8 calculator by just punching random numbers in and just copying based off of that

The original carbon evolve was drop thru with a tail

Not double drop tho. Double drop with a tail seems super weird

Double drop kick tails is definitely a niche design, but adding a tail to an existing double drop shouldn’t be hard

1 Like

If you plan to sell these eventually, then I highly suggest getting rid of the double flange for accessibility. Unless someone has no flange on their motor pulley, then would need to pull it around the flange which would be very hard for some people. you can have motor issues with your hands and have no issues with esk8 afterall

Personally, I have trash garbage hands and would either need someone else to do it for me, or I’d have to spend too much time removing the extra flange myself. A good way you can test for usability yourself is to try using it with oily hands or with one non oily hand. Some tests go as far as one oily hand for testing but that is more for kitchen stuff and I don’t think esk8 parts have to go that far.

If you are making them only for yourself then none of that really matters.

I still avoid them purely because I don’t trust myself to know the clearance on my back end if it doesn’t match the front :scream: It just seems like something where I’d fuck it up a lot. Also the fact it looks dumb does add a bit to my reluctance, but it is mostly the first reason

rides bent hangers on surf adapters

I long ago gave up giving two fifths of a fuck what shit looks like. As long as it feels good, happy days

5 Likes

That tail is 100% useless and existed solely as a marketing bullet point.

It needs to be at least twice as long to do anything on that long & heavy board.

Absolutely not.

I’m selfish and build things for myself :rofl:

Plus it’d have to be crazy expensive and nobody would want it anyway.

I’d argue they don’t look dumb since you can’t even tell the hanger is bent unless you look closely. Head on the pavement or standing on the board close, and in both cases the person is dumb. :rofl:

Also whether or not a surf adapter looks weird is more of personal preference. I think they look fine, and even cool when you get or make it a pretty color, but I can see someone not liking them. :person_shrugging:

Now if you want to call my preferred combo of surf adapter attached to pseudo reverse raked trucks a potential death trap then I’d agree :rofl: I love the feeling over a normal truck plus the surf adapter, but there is a reason why people say a reverse rake is not advised because other people are no fun and boring

Fair enough. I figured I’d share the info just in case that was in the works.

Yep. I even found the kicktail on the raptor really difficult to use and that was much better proportion wise.

@b264 what’s your motor mount of choice for a shorty board using forward mounted motors? Drawing up a potential build and was thinking BN145’s with their shorter 63mm motor mounts but didn’t know if anyone else out there had anything worthwhile.

not really, my drivetrain came assembled is because i brought the whole setup

2 Likes

Does anyone make PTFE shells and buttons for the Hoyt puck? [Not printed]

1 Like

Following up on this, I did find Nickel Strip (continuous rolls). Amazon has some that is advertised as pure but I haven’t tested. As well 18650 store sells Nickel Strip (continuous rolls) which is nice to see given that best I recall, they’re one of the more revered battery stores. Alas if anyone else was looking for a source. I wanted to post an update so its searchable.