Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

There are some folks on here who have had good success with 3d printed fans/impellers mounted on the back of their motors, to force more airflow through the core of the motor and help keep things happy. If you have the room, they can be a good upgrade to consider.

3 Likes

Updated the remote and nothing new happened, so I found that you must have the VESC remote on current and disable the smart reverse.

2 Likes

Can anyone recommend max erpm settings for Stormcore 60D+?

Thanks

whatever the default value is

3 Likes

1 Like

Yes. Don’t fucking change them. :rofl:

That setting doesn’t do what you think it does.

If you’re building certain types of aircraft that setting may be useful. Not for an esk8.

1 Like

What are these little annoying star shaped screws called on hubs? Need to get the right screwdriver head from hardware or electronics store

Thanks

If 6 points it’s torx

If 5 points it’s called “star”

If 6 points with a pin it’s a security torx, sometimes abbreviated as TX of TH

1 Like

Torx is the most common name, although it’s technically a trademark of Textron. Other names include Hexalobular, 6lobe, and star drive.

I’ve always called those pentalobe.

2 Likes

That’s a 5-point bit

1 Like

You win word of the day :clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

Can somone confirm whether this Surf-Rodz ‘mystery box’ deal contains the right trucks for an esk8 build? (i think they do…just wanted to confirm). (and I’d choose the 10mm axle)

“The mysterious part is…the hanger length” that means there is a chance of getting a 139mm hangar (or even 100mm if the hex hangars are also possible, I can’t tell) and that would limit you to only reasonably being able to build a small shortboard like the BKB Tayto or something, I wouldn’t risk it, just find what you want to build and buy that size hangar, also mystery angle, I wouldn’t do this, trucks have such a huge impact on how enjoyable a board is to ride that you are better off just getting what you actually want.

1 Like

Thanks man, im dumb, I stopped reading the mystery kit description halfway through and thought the mystery element were just the colour. Will give this a big miss then.

1 Like

I wouldn’t.

@Boardnamics or @Savage1 would be a much better choice IMHO

2 Likes

I was considering TKP, which I dont think Boardnamics makes (I could be wrong) and Savage trucks look incredible, but I think they may be too expensive ( $400 or so for a set i think, which isnt surprising consdering how gorgeous they are, just too expensive for me).

1 Like

Surf Rodz TKP trucks aren’t very stable without split angle baseplates, and they use bolts that snap under stress, so they kinda suck for esk8. Savage trucks are much better

That being said, you could ask for mystery surf rodz with a 10mm axle, buy longer replacement axles from boardnamics and Idea mounts for them. You can make it work if you really want to…

2 Likes

wouldnt it still be a gamble with regards to the hanger length? like if I land a 100mm hanger then I’d have to use loads of spacers so that wheels fit and even then it’d be risky? . My build is lightweight street build, only concrete friendly, so the lack of robustness for SR may be ok…though the wheels of choice will be Trampa hypa hubs/gummies/urban treads and maybe some blue cags (gonna sell my TB110 as they too heavy)

and I guess I could dewedge the SR’s too?

Yep, the savage TKP ‘s are not cheap. I wish they could be less expensive.

3 Likes

Hah, that wasn’t a dig on my part, i get that small batches of bespoke dope stuff is gonna cost a lot. They look amazing :ok_hand:

How much do they weigh btw?