Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Doing a sanity check here, does this wiring look like it’s solid?

Should be following this wiring diagram:

1 Like

Put shrinkwrap over the bullet connectors so they can’t vibrate apart

Same with servo/PWM connector

And cable tie (or tie with string) the XT60 together

1 Like

Oh absolutely, wiring isn’t done as you can see at the moment. Was waiting till the end to button everything up.

1 Like

You don’t want to connect an external battery directly to your internal battery like that, it is a major fire hazard if both loopkeys were to be plugged in. Why not have a single wire that you move?

1 Like

Have the ESC connected to a male XT90 and plug it into one of two female XT90S, one for each battery.

No “key” at all.

They physically can’t be connected at the same time

see: Captured Loop Key - Design, Development, and Documentation - #17 by DeadLightning

5 Likes

you have a board that uses some kind of rubber slicks right? I think I saw one with radium proto wheels or SRB ones. What do you find accurate for that one?

1 Like

Yeah radium prototypes. But i have no logs as I’m currently experiencing robogotchi/robogotchi user issues.

My urethane board is geared quite similarly and on that I average around 20-21wh/km. On the radium wheels, I’m getting around 26wh/km for similar rides.

It’s a substantial difference for sure, but in my opinio, the comfort/grip pros far outweigh the efficiency cons.

2 Likes

i think you could figure out the number im looking for without them. If you know the top speed just put in the boards specs into the 3ds calculator then change the efficiency % untill it makes the calc tell you the true top speed.

since im specifically only interested in top speed calculation

I could indeed… but that would first mean reaching top speed on an unproven board :sweat_smile:

1 Like

lol fair enough. On a separate note, (and maybe I should make a whole thread about this, but) what do you feel you need to do before you consider the board to be safe enough to attempt a top speed run? A certain number of miles? Having riding in a certain set of demanding conditions?

X amount of beer usually does the trick

6 Likes

Liquid courage will always do the trick.

I think a familiar route and how comfortable you’ve become with the board. All it’s quirks and whatnot. For me that means time spent on the board.

3 Likes

Totally. Its 100% about getting to know the board. I was nearly there today. Next ride should be it for me.

2 Likes

For me it’s traffic. If I’m confident some senseless driver isn’t gonna reverse into the road at 50kph I’ll hit full throttle no problem.

2 Likes

On a brand new board you just built?

1 Like

Well I’d have to ride it to my usual speed testing spot, if it can make it there it should be okay enough for a top speed run.

Typically my issues crop up after I hit the first bump in the road or brake for the first time or hit a hill. I feel confident enough to be risky after about 5km.

TBF though most of my experience in this area is with rebuilds/part-swaps/mods and not completely new builds from all new parts.

Yeah i don’t vibe with 5km. 50 maybe.

I’ve been fucked up by way too many things to implicitly trust a vehicle after 5km.

5 Likes

Bench tests… What am I looking for?

This has probably covered before, but when I search bench testing all I find are Mooch’s battery tests, which are great but not what I am researching rn.

My bench tests consists of throttling and braking, back and forth, to see if I can create a fault… If nothing acts weird, then I strap my gear on crash test dummy it, but I’m thinking there’s probably more to it than that… Maybe there’s a list of bench tests for the common stuff we should be checking on before riding?