Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

:frowning:

:cry:

1 Like

WAKE UP MUHFUCKIESSSS!!! :rofl: :joy:

If only t’were so easy :cry:

2 Likes

Ya dude it sucks a bag of dicks to hear ur pack is compromised. Why not take the opportunity and learn to build one?

This kit makes pack building accessible to just about anyone:

1 Like

Connecting a Daly BMS, first time doing this. Where should the black wire from the charging port go?

Also, should I desolder the short wires I soldered on and use one continuous one, soldered at 4 points? (for negative and positive terminals). I will be using 10AWG, bypassing discharge side. I plan to try and draw 120, maybe 140 amps if that’s safe. P42A’s, 6374 Flipsky, Stormcore 60D+.

For charge only ^

5 Likes

That doesn’t have a fuse.

Try this

4 Likes

spend less money for better tires:

SKP 175mm tires – SkyartPowerSystems

1 Like

Where can I make a request for someone to build me a battery pack?
In the trusted battery builders thread?

1 Like

Yes, find one near you and contact them directly

1 Like

Dude, that battery is lookin a bit shady. You shouldn’t have those balance leads sitting right on top of the cells like that. Also, the balance leads look like a rats nest. Is this your first battery?

1 Like

It’s my first, yes. I’m just swapping thr BMS on it, put new balance wires on.

1 Like

If that battery will have anything but air on top of it once installed, then put some fishpaper where that yellow tape is, under the balance wires.

The wrapping on the cells might look like electrical insulation but it’s really fragile and can easily be abraded.

You don’t want the balance wires laying on the cell bodies like that.

Also make sure once installed that the balance wires are “up” and not holding the weight of the battery.

3 Likes

Yes, what @b264 said. You want a layer of fish paper between the cells and the balance leads. The reason for this is the micro-vibrations that an esk8 is subject to can cause abrasion to the balance wires and shrink on the cells over time. The potential for a short thereby increases the more you ride your board. And a short can equal :firecracker: :fire:

For the same reasons we also ensure that the balance leads don’t cross over each other. We also isolate p-groups w fish or barley paper.

2 Likes

That yellow tape is double sided and pretty sticky/gummy. This Hurricane battery does slide into a tight fitting rigid metal case after a yellow plastic sheet covers the top of the battery and heat shrink wrapped. The balance wires may be ok the way they are but some kapton tape under and over the balance wires may be a better option. Either way the balance wires should be lower then the cell holders which leads to another possible concern. There seems to be excessive solder on those balance wires. Make sure there are no solder blobs higher then the cell holders.

1 Like

There will be another layer of the yellow plastic, like you see on the bottom and sides of the battery. Then that is wrapped in heatshrink plastic wrapping, that is then padded with some foam and placed in a metal battery enclosure.

The white you see is silicone, no solder visible. I can add some Kapton tape, I just bought it. I did use thicker wires than stock (hair like wires there :C). I used the ones that come with Daly, didn’t want to risk using other wires. I will check whether the wires are higher than the cell holders, hopefuly not.

The balance wires shouldn’t be higher, just with thicker fish paper under them they might be. The concers are the wires should be secured to prevent them from possibly rubbing throught the the battery cell wrap and wire insulation. It is hard to tell from the picture how the solder joints are. I know the original solder joints are covered in a rubbery glue that is tricky to clean off to solder a new wire on. Just as long as there are no high solder blobs there

1 Like

But none of that is between the balance wires and the cell bodies.

2 Likes

I can add Kapton tape between them, thanks!

Kapton tape is not fishpaper, but you do you. It’s better than nothing else.

4 Likes