Battle hardening motors

Okay thanks, good I guess :joy:

1 Like

Going to attempt battle hardening for my next pair of new motors.

So what’s the go to, miliput, or good ol 2 part epoxy?
@rich @Lee_Wright how are the miliput hardened ones holding up?

2 Likes

I did my second pair of sk3 motors yesterday. Same method the bearded guy on YouTube used. Adding micro balloons to the epoxy makes it a lot more easy to work with. Gotta work fast though.

I have never done the magnets… I’m afraid I will screw up. Protecting the windings from small rocks is my main concern on the sk3😬

6 Likes

I have to confess… I changed plans and never used those motors, that board is actually going to become my 16S board with the Spintend controller. There are many people out there that have used the milliput technique and have had no issues!

3 Likes

My retainer ring came loose on a tb6374, so remembering this thread, I decided I would give battle hardening a go. When I went to the hardware store, the best 5min option said it had a 3min pot life, which seemed too short for a first time trying this. Since the JB weld original seemed OK, I gave it a try. What a mistake. I did not add any thickener, so that may help. First, as I started to coat the gaps, my wooden stick stuck to the magnet. Took me a sec to realize that the steel in the epoxy was getting sucked to the magnet. Then, as I filled the gap, it just got sucked back to the magnet surface. I could not get the gap to stay filled. You fill it in and just watch it open back up. It felt like a bad magic trick. I ended up scraping and wiping it all out and just left enough to glue the retainer ring in. I recommend not using steel reinforced unless it is thick enough to hold its shape between magnets.

5 Likes

Does anybody have pictures of Flipsky battle-hardened motors interior straight from the factory? I want to see how well they’ve done the job and see if anything needs to be improved before buying them.

3 Likes

@anubis might have some. Also a great vendor.

1 Like

I have pictures of the torqueboards factory battle-hardening if theyre of any use, I imagine since they come from the same factory the magnet retention epoxy is identical for both brands of motors but I could be wrong.

2 Likes

They’re not the same factory. I think TB might be ant innovations. Flipsky’s BH motors are completely in house.

4 Likes

Doesn’t need any improvements IMO

8 Likes

@b264 this stuff is nice!

I can see how making some specialized tools would help this along immensely.

I am doing a test on a broken motor to see what happens if I don’t clean out the gap between magnets. I will try to chip it out or something.

I have another set of motors I have cleaned out already that I am doing after this practice.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Super interested to see how these turn out!

That’s the stuff I use, except with a custom turning machine I made that slowly rotates the rotor the entire time it’s curing.

2 Likes

Yeah I am kinda confused on how people were talking about doing a motor quickly…

I can seemingly only do a ~quarter of the motor or 4 gaps at once. 3 gaps more comfortably.

Doing two motors like this is slightly more efficient but a way to do the whole motor at once could be more ideal.

I’ll keep thinking about 3D printing a wiper thingy. lol

1 Like
8 Likes

I think this method could be used to epoxy in one go.

2 Likes

Could you just shove a shit ton of epoxy inside the can and then reassemble and run the motor non-stop until it cures?

1 Like

I would guess you wouldn’t be fast enough with assembly so main part of the epoxy would drop on the stator before you can rotate the bell.
You could try it with a cordless drill and bell only. That might work if you get the right amount of epoxy in the right place.
Still big chances for a big mess, that’s why I didn’t try that yet :joy:

2 Likes

This could be fun to test on a dead motor

3 Likes

I feel like you would have to worry about the motor overheating actually lmao. Epoxy not good for cooling like statoraid.

1 Like