Battery Building Services by Skyart the skating duck

Doing this is the absolute worst part of building packs lol I hate it

What kind of chonky iron did you do this with to actually solder 6awg

3 Likes

Still have the 9-5 :cold_face::cold_face: more like 6-230 thanks Ben! Wifey is supper supportive and helps out a lot. A lot of late nights tho :neutral_face::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’d just assume it’s your name spreading that caused it. Purely confidence/optimism or not.
NESE pack might be my first battery “build,” well see, but I’m definitely getting into pack building this year. Maybe not so much commercially, mostly just to save some dollars on my own builds.

1 Like

Nothing crazy

Weller SP80NUS 80-Watts LED Soldering Iron https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3SG796/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_D2YFSZ6MP30ZRFSQETDH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use it for anything over 10awg. It doesn’t make the prettiest welds, but it works well and fast

2 Likes

Nese was the first pack I ever built :grinning: il have to dig up some pics…somehow it was SUCH a mess

1 Like

It’s a good system… but I wish it wasn’t so bulky. Still up in the air on NESE vs travel specced, really. Dude wants a vanguard 38, so, not much room to work with without sacrificing flex.

1 Like

So many difficult choices to make when choosing the right battery for any particular set up. I would sacrifice capacity for an easier cleaner build all day long (says the guy constantly building triple stack packs for double stack enclosures :face_with_spiral_eyes::woozy_face:)

4 Likes

Haha nice, must be hard to not soak the whole cable with it tho

I’ve never soldered above 10awg so I’m not sure how those massive cables react

1 Like

I apply some pressure with tweezer style tools they act as a bit of a heatsink. And even then, you gotta be really careful, sometimes I have to cool the iron down or time when I plug it in an start using it before it heats up all the way…it does get too hot and will make a mess if you arnt on top of it. Took a good few weeks to figure out how to use it lol. I wish it had adjustable temp

3 Likes

Personally, I plan on keeping 3 builds around a time. One off road, one long range, one shorty beer runner. Purpose specific builds are a lot easier to plan.

2 Likes

Yeah I guess that would be the one tough thing with such a huge iron

I don’t anticipate needing to put above 10 awg on any builds soon but I might need to get a bigger iron for 8 if I ever build a pack with that

Normal solder station with a fat tip will solder 8amp just fine, just takes some time

2 Likes

Making more Sur Ron packs I see! :ok_hand:t3:

3 Likes

So this dude has somesort of BAC8000 style controller BUT!!! It’s made by a dif company and it allows you to mess with the setting via a BT app :astonished: he showed me some stuffs, it looked amazing!! Il have to double check what exact controller it is tho

2 Likes

My big iron is the same way. I highly recommend getting an adjustable station for your iron. My big boy is MUCH more usable now that I put it on an adjustable station.

Where does one get this? I was going to look into this but I keep forgetting too

2 Likes

This is the one I use. I actually used the 40W pen iron that came with that kit for small stuff for about 3 years before I upgraded to a Pinecil recently. Its a great little iron. Now that station has my big iron parked on it permanently. The station just has a standard electrical outlet on the back, you can plug any 120V iron into it.

One thing to note, this is a kit which you have to assemble. Its super simple, will take you like 15 minutes. Just something to be aware of.

3 Likes

Oh that is DOPE! Thanks Ben!

1 Like

Oh damn!! That’s awesome. Let me know what company!

1 Like